Thoughts on hiding controls for ".." in music (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Removing the 'no image available' is great.
    Personally i would like the black frame to stay. Either with an arrow on black background (like in thumbview) or just a black background.
    I kind of know what you mean. I have had this setup for a day or so and I think there is possibly too much change between having the border and image to having nothing. I have updated the first page with the other idea I had (as you have said) which is just using the only arrow type image I could find in media folder which had a background (not sure if it even needs a background but easy enough to change the image)

Kind of thinking that the label in common.window.music should be removed when ".." is highlighted as this serves no purpose. I keep changing my mind between whether I like the no-image or default image though......(but I think both are better than the no-image available)

Joost you are the designer, make this look good :D

J

joostzilla

Personally i would like the black frame to stay. Either with an arrow on black background (like in thumbview) or just a black background.
    I kind of know what you mean. I have had this setup for a day or so and I think there is possibly too much change between having the border and image to having nothing. I have updated the first page with the other idea I had (as you have said) which is just using the only arrow type image I could find in media folder which had a background (not sure if it even needs a background but easy enough to change the image)

Kind of thinking that the label in common.window.music should be removed when ".." is highlighted as this serves no purpose. I keep changing my mind between whether I like the no-image or default image though......(but I think both are better than the no-image available)

Joost you are the designer, make this look good :D

LOL. Did you enter it to the bugtracker?

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Just a personal choice, but I would prefer not to have the frame - if the frame is there and empty, it emphasises the idea that something (the contents) is missing.

Mark

wonkyd

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2007
    Home Country

I agree, I think it looks strange with no image. Personally I wouldn't object to the .. being removed altogether, i rarely, if ever, use it favoring the back button on the remote.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

I agree, I think it looks strange with no image. Personally I wouldn't object to the .. being removed altogether, i rarely, if ever, use it favoring the back button on the remote.

I never ever use the '..'. MediaPortal is a "10ft GUI" experience. Usine a ".." to traverse vertically through a folder/database structure is straight out of MS-DOS; I think/hope we have moved on from here. As has been mentioned, even if you are using a keyboard you can use the 'Esc' button to move backwards.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

I never ever use the '..'. MediaPortal is a "10ft GUI" experience. Usine a ".." to traverse vertically through a folder/database structure is straight out of MS-DOS; I think/hope we have moved on from here. As has been mentioned, even if you are using a keyboard you can use the 'Esc' button to move backwards.

Okay, so what if you have 5 shares enabled, and one of them is your default share. You enter 'my videos' in the default share. How do you then move to a different share?

(okay, I used videos as an example rather than music, but the same applies)

Just wanted to point out this common usage scenario that I can't see a way of avoiding the need for '..' (apart from reorganising shares).

Mark

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Okay, so what if you have 5 shares enabled, and one of them is your default share. You enter 'my videos' in the default share. How do you then move to a different share?

Just wanted to point out this common usage scenario that I can't see a way of avoiding the need for '..' (apart from reorganising shares).

Mark

I don't set a default share, that way I see all shares when entering My Videos and can use Esc on the keyboard or the back button on my remote to move back to the top view showing those shares.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Mark

I don't set a default share, that way I see all shares when entering My Videos and can use Esc on the keyboard or the back button on my remote to move back to the top view showing those shares.

Exactly.

MP has the ability to define one of the shares as default. Many users have a perfectly good reason for doing this. However, they will then need '..' to access their other shares.

Mark

nfox

Portal Pro
    August 22, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    Before things start getting heated I think I should point out that I am not advocating the complete removal of the ".." from all modules in all circumstances. I'm just highlighting that for many people (I feel a poll coming on) the ".." is completely superfluous and it would be nice to have the option of removing them. Especially in My Music.

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    Before things start getting heated I think I should point out that I am not advocating the complete removal of the ".." from all modules in all circumstances. I'm just highlighting that for many people (I feel a poll coming on) the ".." is completely superfluous and it would be nice to have the option of removing them. Especially in My Music.
    Lol.... getting a bit OT here... The ".." markers are not going to go for 1.1 and due to the amount of work it would involve to remove them I can see them staying for the life of MP 1.x. Put in a suggestion for MP2 about not having these...

As for the original question, what do people think looks better?

Joost, I have not put anything on bugtracker as still not sure what to put.... Perhaps I will just add an enhancement request to look at it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom