Thumbnailpanel with more rows than columns (1 Viewer)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004
    Hi,

spuck and I are trying to create an xml file for the xface skin and the tv-series plugin. We'd like to utilize a thumbnail panel to display seriesbanners. All works well, see screenshot below:
    Screenshot with 3x3 grid that works as it should

However the problem arises as soon as a we make the thumbnailpanel high enough, so that more rows than columns fit. So the grid of NxM items works well as long as n<=m, which means the 3x3 grid in the screenshots works, while a 4x3 (or what we'd like, a 5x3) grid does not.

The problems is that the items are there, except rows below the M's row (M being the number of columns) they do not get rendered, but you can still select and interact with them (for instance the selected item's skin property gets updated (as in the screenshot in the thread below).

attachment.php

Screenshot in modified xface my videos page displaying a 4x3 grid incorrectly.

I have also tested this independend of the tvseries plugin, by simply altering some xml of the xface skin's video page. See the thread below for more details. It leads me to believe that this could be a bug/limitation of the thumbnailpanel, that I believe has been around for a while. But since usually there are more rows than columns (TVSeries is differente because the banners that are eing displayed are very wide but not very high), I believe very few people if any have so far run into this. I do not know of any skin/page where there are more rows than columns being displayed (are there?).

Thread with sample
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=190290&postcount=522

There is also a bit of discussion about it in the general xface thread, starting here
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showpost.php?p=189945&postcount=500

What I'd like is someone to confirm my observations (and conclusions) - or tell me I'm an idiot - and perhaps ask if a dev could look into this "issue". If it turns out to be correct it's probably just a loop that gets exited too quickly because the assumption was made, either by mistake or on purpose, that there are always more columns than rows.

Thank you
    Inker

Harley

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 7, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Inker,

i think you are right, have test it and have the same result like you, does not work with 3 items and 5 rows.
    Will have a talk with the devs about it.

b.t.w. ...looks great the screenshots for xface :)

Harley

DarkWader

Portal Pro
    October 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Indeed it looks great, but for this to work properly, the CurrentView stuff need to be reworked.
    Perhaps integrate it with the action menu?

For my own use, I deactivated this function for now, and removed the stuff from my .xml.

patrick

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    Southeast
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What I'd like is someone to confirm my observations (and conclusions) - or tell me I'm an idiot - and perhaps ask if a dev could look into this "issue". If it turns out to be correct it's probably just a loop that gets exited too quickly because the assumption was made, either by mistake or on purpose, that there are always more columns than rows.

Hi,

I do not know if you are still looking for an answer here but I think the bug is
    in GUIThumbnailPanel.cs about line 578 in the Render method.

I think this:
    Code:
    RenderItem(timePassed, iRow * _rowCount + iCol, bFocus, dwPosX, dwPosY, pItem, i == 0);

Should be replaced with:
    Code:
    RenderItem(timePassed, iRow * _columnCount + iCol, bFocus, dwPosX, dwPosY, pItem, i == 0);

Using _rowCount causes the button number to go over the actual number of buttons available.

Screenshot is using the sample you suggested changing common.facade.video.xml

HTH,
    patrick

Attachments

• panelscreenshot.jpg
      panelscreenshot.jpg
      145.7 KB

spuck

Community Skin Designer
    April 6, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Please do add it to the next SVN! :)

Indeed it looks great, but for this to work properly, the CurrentView stuff need to be reworked.
    Perhaps integrate it with the action menu?
    That'd actually be nice, I do often accidentally press left and right, kind of annoying. :)

Inker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 6, 2004

Hi,

I do not know if you are still looking for an answer here but I think the bug is
    in GUIThumbnailPanel.cs about line 578 in the Render method.

I think this:
    Code:
    RenderItem(timePassed, iRow * _rowCount + iCol, bFocus, dwPosX, dwPosY, pItem, i == 0);

Should be replaced with:
    Code:
    RenderItem(timePassed, iRow * _columnCount + iCol, bFocus, dwPosX, dwPosY, pItem, i == 0);

Using _rowCount causes the button number to go over the actual number of buttons available.

Screenshot is using the sample you suggested changing common.facade.video.xml

HTH,
    patrick

Thanks! I hope it can get patched soon :)

GazpachoKing

Portal Pro
    February 8, 2006
    So, patience is not one of my virtues and I am really excited to get 5 rows working. I haven't compiled the SVN before so I am not sure my logic is sound, but I am at work right now and recompiled core.dll with the patched line by patrick. Can we just copy this over the current core.dll and have it work? I'll test it when I get home tonight, but if anyone else is feeling adventurous I'll attach the core.dll here.

WalkmanAA

Portal Pro
    January 5, 2007
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Looks amazing, big thank you to everyone involved in making this happen.

[Edit] I increased the height of the thumbnail panel so the rows of banners would be spread apart more. Now that I have more space between rows, does anybody know how to make the blue border around a selected banner bigger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom