[confirm] timeshift buffer doesn't reset on channel change (1 Viewer)

robcarter

Portal Pro
February 19, 2010
Home Country
England England
MediaPortal Version: 1.1 rc 2
MediaPortal Skin: bluewide
Windows Version: 7
CPU Type:
HDD: 500GB sata
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: asus p5em-q
Video Card:
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card:
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: peak hardware dual tuner
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: panasonic
TV - HTPC Connection: hdmi

Hi

not sure if this is by design, but when you change channel and use the timeshift buffer to go backwards you can can step back to what recorded on the previous channels., shouldn't the timeshift buffer restart every time the channel is changed?
Also if you start say watching bbc1 for 10 minutes then change to bbc2 for example the timeshift buffer shows that you have watched 10 minutes of the currently watched program, even though you have only just switched to that channel.

regards
rob
log attached

thesystemera

Portal Pro
May 26, 2008
Auckland
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I would have thought the same, also Autocrop does not reset when you change channels, I believe this should also be the case.

gemx

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 31, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That is by design.
    I always worked this way.
    The timeshift buffer doesn't get reset after a channel change.

So it's "Works as designed" :D

robcarter

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Also the timeshift buffer display shouldn't show that it has recorded more of the program than it has, should it?

rob

Juppe

Portal Pro
    November 17, 2006
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I Think is good design, think if you are watching a tv-show and then there are commercial and you zapp around and then back to the first channel and the commercial is over and you continuing watching that tv-show and then you want to see something that happend in th tv-show, but if it works like you want, then you cant go back to see anything before the commercial. I always watch tv in this way, zapping around when there is commercial.:D

thesystemera

Portal Pro
    May 26, 2008
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This is a good argument... But how about the Autocrop?? I still think it should clear though.. But hey..

SilentException

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 27, 2008
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Home Country
    Croatia Croatia
    Also, what about timeshift status display?

So if you start say watching bbc1 for 10 minutes then change to bbc2 for example the timeshift buffer shows that you have watched 10 minutes of the currently watched program, even though you have only just switched to that channel.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Also, what about timeshift status display?

So if you start say watching bbc1 for 10 minutes then change to bbc2 for example the timeshift buffer shows that you have watched 10 minutes of the currently watched program, even though you have only just switched to that channel.

Bug, but most likely not a single line fix will solve that since it would require history data to be kept about the channel changes and their times.

robcarter

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2010
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it's not an easy solution, how about: appending the channel name/no to the timeshift file, then add a resume timeout, such that if the same channel is selected within a certain time the appropriate buffer just continues, else the buffer is deleted.
    Having said the above I have never done any c# programming so i don't know how easy that would be.
    The main problem I think is it's confusing because if you step back you can end up watching a different channel to the one that is tuned / selected.
    Not sure how MCE, other media centres or pvr units handle this sort of thing, I will have a look.

rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom