Timeshift does not turn off resulting in huge file sizes (1 Viewer)

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    broadband412 said:
    regardless of what quality I select, the file will always come out to 64,912kbps.
    Is this the cause of the large file sizes - this is about 10 times what it should be - typically 4,000 to 8,000 kb/s would be a more reasonable value?

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    I don't know if it is the cause of the large file sizes but I don't think so becasue the kbps was always the same and the file size was normal to me at least that was what I took them as. My PVR records in DVR-MS format just in case there are any other formats that media portal records in that I don't know about. The pre and Post recording settings are a 0 minutes for each. I just rechecked. Also how do I make sure the TV database isn't currupt and if it is, how to fix it. Thanks.

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    Ah, I see this makes sense. However, it still doesn't explain why my files suddenly are more than twice the size than they were before. Thanks for pointing this out. I did remember when timeshifting used to go off there would be a few seconds of hang while watching tv.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

broadband412 said:
    come out to 64912kbps

Do not trust this value! This is shown by windows, but it is not correct. Always calculate the bitrate by your own. :)

Eg. your half an hour recording with 2.8 GB has a bitrate of ~ 13000 KBit / s

(2.8 * 1024 * 1024 * 8 ) KBit / (30 * 60) Seconds

Anyway, its wrong. Seems as if the quality setting does not work for you. Please take a look here:
    http://www.testteam-mediaportal.com/Joomla/forum/showthread.php?t=518

And, if possible, run the test described there (one of my last posts).

As solution you can uncheck "Use Quality control" and set the Bitrate external with the Hauppauge Tweak Tool. Also see my link to the test team.

Flip.

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    Thanks Flip. File sizes are back to normal for me again. I just finished recording an hour show and it came out to 2.26GB instead of 5.48GB for an hour show. However, I'm still having a minor problem with MP. Should I start a new topic for that or continue in this thread? Thanks.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

new problem, new topic. :)

And if its no bug, please place it in the support section.

Flip.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    broadband412 said:
    Could it be something with my computer? Currupt files perhaps? Or maybe Windows Media player 11 beta which I have installed? How do i check for and repair and or replace currupt files on my pc?
    that could realy be a problem.

try to uninstall WMP11 and reinstall WMP10
    or
    restore a previous "windows system restore point".

broadband412

Portal Pro
    April 20, 2005
    New Yrok
    Thanks Infinityloop. Although, I don't have the major problem I was having anymore, will restoring my PC to an earlier date pose any new problems? I have done it in the past but I really don't any new problems. I really don't like media plaer 11 and so would like to get rid of it but there appers to be no uninstaller for media player 11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom