timeshiftbuffer does not get cleared on channelchange (3 Viewers)

Roberdin

Portal Pro
December 26, 2005
London, United Kingdom
What do you mean, so many options? Options are good. How often do you need to configure MediaPortal? Is the plethora of choice really a problem? Each to his own, and options allow this. If you're looking for simplicity, then there's no need to change many of the default values.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
What do you mean, so many options? Options are good. How often do you need to configure MediaPortal? Is the plethora of choice really a problem? Each to his own, and options allow this. If you're looking for simplicity, then there's no need to change many of the default values.

Options are good, yes.....but at what point are there too many? For the novice user to MP, all of the options are overwhelming......let's add even more and make it even MORE of a jungle for the newb to wade through.

Perhaps the whole config program needs to be revamped into a "Simple" and "Advanced" format which wouldn't be so intimidating for the new user.

I've used MP on and off for a couple years now so I'm familiar with pretty much all of the options, but I remember giving up on it at first because there was so many things in the config program. It was too complex.

scythelt

Portal Pro
December 19, 2006
Home Country
I've used MP on and off for a couple years now so I'm familiar with pretty much all of the options, but I remember giving up on it at first because there was so many things in the config program. It was too complex.

Things have changed a lot. The setup wizard now guides a new user through the most important configuration items and they shouldn't need to fiddle with the config unless they specifically need to do something. The wizard should be enough to get them up and running now.

I'm sure it wasn't like that in the past though - I've noticed the wizard improving markedly in the latest SVNs

egruz

Portal Member
March 5, 2007
Home Country
Switching Channels - Buffering Behaviour Inconsistent

Hi there,

I've been using MP for around 6 months now, various different versions along the way. I just did a big update to the tv server way of doing things.

I'm having some difficulty controlling this buffering thing and understanding whats going on with it. Here's what happens. First of all, MP starts buffering from the minute i fire up MP and start watching a channel. Now from what I'm reading in this thread, this is by design, and expected to happen. All good so far. :)

I am experiencing an inconsistency when switching to another channel. Half of the time when I change to another channel, I can see that channel straight away (as I expect), and freely navigate backwards to see the buffered previous channel(s) that I was watching, while MP continues to buffer the newly selected channel for me. The other half of the time when I switch channels, I see briefly (for about a second) the newly selected channel, then immediately get sent right back to the start of the timeshift buffer (ie, the longer I watch TV, the further back I go). This is quite frustrating as I can't change channels without having to navigate forward to the 'end' of the buffer. Also, alot of the time when I navigate to the 'end' of the buffer I simply get sent straight back to the start of the buffer. :confused: I'm quite confused as to which of these 2 behaviours I should be expecting to consistently see. I hope its the first one i described!

Any clues as to what's going on?

Franky

Portal Pro
May 19, 2005
ITALY
Home Country
Italy Italy
Sorry if I have an issue instead than an aswear...
In my configuration, (last version of every part:MyTV TVServer SVN) the timeshift works fine for about 30-40 minutes, after this, when I try to go back the progress bar goes always to end and I'm not able to go back anymore. In the timeshift buffer directory everything seams OK. I tried with different buffer lenght in MPConfiguration Television section but i can't fix the problem. If the channel has an EPG information (so end time of program) seems that things goes better, but on the channels without EPG informations I get always the same problem. Seems that the timeshift after some minutes loses the pointer and cannot go back also if the data are available...
First I would like to know if somebody else has the same problem so I can consider to reinstal everithing if it's only a my problem.
Second if somebody has a suggestion, it is welcome.

Thanks

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    franky,

Try a newer release. This is something that devs are trying to fix, but it's not always reproducible.

Franky

Portal Pro
    May 19, 2005
    ITALY
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    franky,

Try a newer release. This is something that devs are trying to fix, but it's not always reproducible.

What you mean with a newer release? As I wrote I'm using all the newer release
    of MP last SVN last TVE03 LAST MyTV02. I change everything once a day to be always up to date.
    If you try on a DVB-S channel without EPG after 30-50 minutes (without changing channel or stop and start TV) you should have the problem. I don't know if it happens to avery configurations or only on my PC. Can be interesting for me try to understand this point for first.

egruz

Portal Member
    March 5, 2007
    Home Country
    Is my problem a known problem? Can anyone offer any help?

joboehl

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    What you mean with a newer release?

Sorry Franky, by the time I was writing a release with a probable fix wasn't public yet. I think you should try (if not already done so) last night's SVN.

Maybe it works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom