Timeshifting Buffer - Pause one channel, view another, then go back to paused channel (1 Viewer)

Schlidel

Portal Member
February 2, 2011
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 Alpha
MediaPortal Skin: Streamed MP v1.4.11
Windows Version: Windows 7
CPU Type: AMD X2 250 @ 3.0Ghz
HDD: 1.0TB WD10EARS
Memory: 2Gig G-Skill DDR2 800
Motherboard: Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H
Video Card: Radeon 4200 IGP
Video Card Driver: 8.812.0.0
Sound Card: Realtek ALC889A
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Hauppauge 2250
1. TV Card Type: Dual Hybrid
1. TV Card Driver: 7.6.27.27323
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: SurewestKC
HTPC Case: Silverstone LC02
Cooling:
Power Supply: 220 Watt
Remote: Hauppauge 45 button
TV: SONY KDL40S5100
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hey guys, I'm ditching the Tivo and replacing it with a HTPC but still not 100% sold on MP. (I've spent soo many hours tinkering with MP so far and it's quite the learning curve... Fun but sometimes frustrating :) )

One showstopper for me at the moment is the inability to pause a tv channel, go to another channel (like the news or something) and then go back to my original paused location on the original paused channel.

This is a feature I used all the time on Tivo and I hope I just have something set up wrong so someone can tell me how to get it going.

:fingers crossed:

Thanks guys!

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: Timeshifting Buffer - Pause one channel, view another, then go back to paused cha

This is not possible in MediaPortal. The buffer is the same, even if you change channel.

Schlidel

Portal Member
    February 2, 2011
    Home Country
    Re: Timeshifting Buffer - Pause one channel, view another, then go back to paused cha

:eek: That's really disappointing to read.

Why does MP have option for two different timebuffer folders then, jw?

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

Not quite the same, but you could achieve almost the result you want by pressing record on the first channel, couldn't you? Then just pick up the recording from its start after you're done watching the news or whatever.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

Would be a nice feature admittedly but it's probably too late in the day for MP1. Hopefully will be looked at for MP2 :)

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark

Would be a killer feature though :)

Schlidel

Portal Member
    February 2, 2011
    Home Country

Not quite the same, but you could achieve almost the result you want by pressing record on the first channel, couldn't you? Then just pick up the recording from its start after you're done watching the news or whatever.

Not really, because say I'm watching an hour long program and I'm half way into it and I want to check the news really quick...

With your way I need to press record and go through the prompts (as opposed to single pause button press) and then I switch over to the news... now when I want to go back to the program I was watching I can't just resume it. I need to start it from beginning and then seek to where I was at.

Very inefficient compared to my Tivo.

Is this a technical limitation that can never be implemented into Mediaportal? I'm already missing my Tivo :( .

Would be a killer feature though :)

I know it's killing me... ;)

This seriously is a bummer and even more so for my mom since I've convinced her to ditch the Tivo for the HTPC I've built (she used this feature often too). Argh!

-------------

Edit: To me this seems so bizarre to see the previous channel's timebuffer (including my dreaded blue screen flash problem) after a channel change. (and it isn't only me... anyone who uses a Tivo would agree I imagine)

jonm

Portal Pro
    January 12, 2009
    Wales
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

I need to start it from beginning and then seek to where I was at.

Surely the beginning of the recording is the point at which you pressed record?

Schlidel

Portal Member
    February 2, 2011
    Home Country

Surely the beginning of the recording is the point at which you pressed record?

Is it?

When I press record for a program that would also include the tv buffer, wouldn't it?

Say I'm 30 minutes into an hour long and then I press record... Wouldn't the recording also include the 30 minutes that I've already watched? (I hope so because my Tivo did)

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom

A lot of PVRs do this but MP doesn't unfortunately. Live tv buffers and recordings are kept completely separate by design.

Again would be a nice feature, but something to be thought of for MP2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom