To NAS or not? (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    you would be throttling down down those 6 G bit SATA drives through a 2 G bit at best Ethernet connection!
    Is there a NAS that won't throttle like the one above?
    The theoretical connection speed of current SATA disks is 6 Gbit/sec, whereas a "standard" gigabit ethernet connection available on all current motherboards is 1 Gbit/sec. Some motherboards have faster gigabit -- 2.5 Gbit/sec up to 10 Gbit/sec. However, neither of these figures corresponds to practical throughput, which is generally lower.

I think that these speeds are mostly irrelevant for domestic users. If you stream a UK HD TV recording from the NAS to view on the HTPC, you need at most around 4 to 5 Mbit/sec (yes, that is Mbit/sec, not Gbit/sec). MP has a "Tuning Details" panel that most MP skins support, and you can see there the bitstream speed of the programme that you are currently viewing. Some skins display this value on the OSD too.

Also, how will your NAS be connected to your HTPC and the other devices on your home network? If you are using powerline network adapters, their speed is much lower than gigabit, even if the adapter is specified as "gigabit". On my powerline network using gigabit everywhere, the practical throughput is around 220 Mbit/sec.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Points noted, thanks guys.

1. So based on that, I think I most likely need to find a different case, and not go down the NAS route?

2. How likely is it that NAS setups fail?

3. Based on what I want, we can confidently say a NAS isn't truly necessary for my wants/needs?

4. If I find a suitable case, will the lone standing HTPC be able to stream to devices? MP1 takes care of this doesn't it?

5. Recommendations on a good method for setting up a backup program?

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    Also, how will your NAS be connected to your HTPC and the other devices on your home network? If you are using powerline network adapters, their speed is much lower than gigabit, even if the adapter is specified as "gigabit". On my powerline network using gigabit everywhere, the practical throughput is around 220 Mbit/sec.

Via cable to router? (I think those are the correct terms :LOL:) - still reading up.

EDIT: I hadn't considered this part of the setup.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    My own system is a floor-standing tower system that runs TV Server and the MQ client, and which is located in the lounge. Minimal noise from fans in the HTPC is (for me) an important requirement. This is the easiest type of MP installation to setup initially, and to keep working subsequently.

A popular alternative setup is a TV Server system that is located elsewhere in the house, with a small PC that runs the MQ client located in the lounge:
    • The TV Server system can be as big as you need in order to contain all of the disks that you want now, and which you might want in the future. This system needs to have access to your source of TV (terrrestrial aerial, satellite dish, or internet connection). The amount of noise that this system produces is of less importance.
    • The MQ client system can be chosen to be small, quiet, and aesthetically pleasing, i.e. something suitable for a lounge setting.
    I have never used this type of MP setup, but judging by topics on this web site, this type of installation is more complicated to setup initially, and to keep working subsequently. Others may be able to comment on how easy or difficult it is to setup.

As regards backup, I don't backup TV recordings, on the basis that in the UK most programmes are repeated eventually. Last year my "capture" disk (the one that TV Server writes to) did indeed fail, with loss of the recordings on it, but my recordings library is on a different disk so they remained intact. I backup only my personal files, and for that I use a bespoke backup program that I wrote myself. There are various free backup programs that can be downloaded from the internet, and there are probably reviews that compare the alternatives. "Macrium Reflect" is one that comes to mind, although I have never used it myself.

Finally, I just want to point out that what is optimal for my requirements may be very different from what is optimal for your requirements, and there isn't a single right answer. You should consider carefully what is important for you, and pick your solution correspondingly.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian I appreciate your response!!

I think for me having the TV Server and MP Client separately is not feasible at the current stage. It has to be all in one solution.

I am going to try and get the drive to fit into the case (will move the SSD out of the 3.5" slot and fashion a place for it to be). This will at least allow me to get the system revived and up and running, then I will have time to read up more and be in a better position knowledge-wise to understand my options/needs/solution better.

Thank you all for your input!

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    MP1 does support streaming to devices doesn't it? So with my latest plan, I should be able to get it to stream movies to mobiles and tablets?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP1 does support streaming to devices doesn't it? So with my latest plan, I should be able to get it to stream movies to mobiles and tablets?

It is possible using MPTvScheduler which can be downloaded from Google PlayStore (free). I tried in the past and it works but I think it very much depends on how your wifi is working, mine is not great and I gave up on it.

Dr Forinor

Portal Pro
    December 21, 2015
    Home Country
    It is possible using MPTvScheduler which can be downloaded from Google PlayStore (free). I tried in the past and it works but I think it very much depends on how your wifi is working, mine is not great and I gave up on it.

What would the best alternative be if this doesn't work fluidly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom