[no Bug] Too slow in case of LAN folder (1 Viewer)

XAA

Portal Member
December 18, 2009
Home Country
Russian Federation Russian Federation
To make picture clear I produced some tests and comparisons of MP with some known program.

Test 1. NAS located folder. Folder containes 480 files and 26 subfolders. I opened this folder from different program and fixed time which I needed to see list of files.
MP.Autocreating of thumbs is switched on. Delay is 2 m 32.15 sec
MP.Autocreating of thumbs is switched off. Delay is 2 m 03.45 sec
Total Media Teater 3. Delay is about 1 sec.
XBMC. Delay is about 1.3 sec
Power DVD 9. Delay is about 1.5 sec.

Test 2. Folder is located on USB drive. Folder containes 372 failes and 25 subfolders.
MP.Autocreating of thumbs is switched on. Delay is 5.80 sec.
MP.Autocreating of thumbs is switched off. Delay is 4.50 sec
Another programs show the same results as in case of NAS

RC1 now is faster in case of USB drive then last SVN which I tested but also is not so good as we hope to see.

In case of my NAS (My Book World Edition II 4 TB Hard Drives ( WDH2NC40000 ) ) situation is not acceptable. I am sure we have some bug here until now.

ronilse

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 19, 2005
    Moss
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi,
    & you tested as mapped drive as the logs show in first post (if not attach new logs)?

Regards
    Roy

XAA

Portal Member
    December 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Yes, I did practicaly the same test but with secundomer. Log was for autocreate t. mode.

wijnand

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi,

Strange. I have a MP singleseat config running on XP and a server with win7 running a 3Tb raid5 for all my media. I use static ip's. All nic's are 1gb, but the lan switch is 100mb/s. I mapped on the XP machine the network drive and all is working fast. The browsing is smooth.
    If I read some fora about your used nas, there are a lot of people complaining about networkspeed... Can you try to map to another pc in your network to test?

neefs

Portal Member
    March 22, 2009
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hello,

Wijnand, you're right. I have a mybookworld edition II 1 TB and it's really slow on every system, not only MP.
    When I copy a file, the transfer is max 5 mb/s. It's even slower like a standard 100 mbit NAS drive. It's just a bad drive for playing movies on it.

pilehave

Community Skin Designer
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 2, 2008
    Hornslet
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I also think MP is painfully slow when browsing folders with many files.

I run a gigabit LAN from my HTPC (Athlon II, 4 GB RAM) to my dedicated sever (Phenom II, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB RAID 10). Both are running Windows 7 x64, but running XP is only marginally slower. Opening a folder with ~ 5000 files with large thumbs in Explorer is like a second or so. Doing the same in MP gives you enough time to go and make a cup of coffee.

I can even browse my files 10 times faster in Explorer from my slow WLAN laptop.

XAA

Portal Member
    December 18, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi,

Strange. I have a MP singleseat config running on XP and a server with win7 running a 3Tb raid5 for all my media. I use static ip's. All nic's are 1gb, but the lan switch is 100mb/s. I mapped on the XP machine the network drive and all is working fast. The browsing is smooth.
    If I read some fora about your used nas, there are a lot of people complaining about networkspeed... Can you try to map to another pc in your network to test?

My NAS is lunix based and PC is not power (ION). As I saw in the forum some people met the same problem used another lunix based NAS. This delay is very serious in case of huge folders. If you have in folder 30-50 files only you are able to work without noteable problem. In case of 100-150 files delay is very unpleasure. If you have 300 file and more you can not work. Delay of MP vs qnty of files inside folder is very unlinear but it seems as in case of Windows based NAS or internal HDD this delay anyway is not critical.

I have no problems with any another application. My NAS is fast enough to play 1080P without any problems for example. Probably problem is inside MP. During weekend I will try to produce some additional experiments to understand situation better.

neefs, old NAS from WD was really slow (I had one) but now picture is much better. I can write as fast as about 15 mbytes per sec and read as quickly as 25 mbytes per sec. This is normal for similar devices.

niblick

Portal Member
    December 18, 2006
    If you are logged on to the ION device, how long does it take to open up the MyBook share and copy/paste a largish file (say about 1GB) to the local desktop?

XAA

Portal Member
    December 18, 2009
    Home Country
    I need 47-48sec to copy 1.25 gb file from NAS to internal drive of ION and 2-3 time more to copyback

niblick

Portal Member
    December 18, 2006
    That's a little slow but not catastrophic. My ion box takes about 30 secs for the same size file but I don't have a problem browsing the share in MP. I can open a share with 200 or so files in about 10 secs - a bit sluggish but I can live with it.

Have you tried disabling the autotuning feature of the win7 IP stack? All my win7 boxes have had pretty dire network browsing performance with that enabled.

Try running this at an admin command prompt :

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

and reboot.

You can also try "autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted" - in some circumstances this might give better performance.

Turning off receive side scaling may also help :

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom