[Tool] SyncMP (1 Viewer)

jojo1411

Portal Pro
January 23, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Sync-MP

Sync-MP is a third party tool for the legendary media center software "Mediaportal".
It is devided in two parts: SyncClient and SyncServer

SyncClient
With SyncClient you have a workaround for one of MediaPortal's biggest flaws. It gives you the ability to share the databases of Mediaportal between multiple instances running at the same time. For the MovingPictures, MySeries and MyMusic databases there are some special features available. You can keep the movie, series and music content between one server's and other client's databases up to date. Thereby it depends on your side to synchronize also the watched flags and plugin settings of a client with the master database or not to keep them client specific.

SyncServer
SyncServer is an additional automation tool where you can manage time-controlled updates of some plugin databases and synchronization events on your Mediaportal server .
Running SyncServer is not essential to benefit of the SyncClient features!

Links:
Google code project page
Wiki - Get help!
Download Beta of SyncClient and SyncServer

(Last stable Version of SyncClient&SyncServer) *Old and NOT recommended!*

If there are issues or feature request etc. please feel free to tell it in this thread or in the issue tracker on the project page. For help on how to use the plugin or how to set up the server please have a look at our Wiki first! If there are further question you can also reach us in the IRC Chat.
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #MPSyncSupport

Because of my bad programming knowlage in c#, the program is written in Autoit. You can get the SOURCE as well!

===Prerequists===

For SyncClient you need SQLite3.exe and Devcon.exe - it's included in the release!
*UPDATE* With newest Beta, the third party tools SyncBack and PsTools are no longer required!!!

If there are issues or feature request etc. please feel free to tell it in this thread or in the issue tracker on the project page. For help on how to use the plugin please have a look at our Wiki first!

If someone would like to help me by correcting and expanding this wiki I would be very glad. Also every (positive/negative) feedback and contribution by enhancing the source code is welcome.

I hope you can use & enjoy it.

I have to thank my Co-Developer Seppi2204 for his outstanding help on this Project!

Hope you like it.
jojo1411

geoffstewart

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 12, 2008
    Ottawa
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Re: [Tool] Sync

Really cool!

I quickly scanned the site and didn't see this question answered... if a client adds a movie, it's synched to the server and all other clients? I assume yes, but wanted to make sure....

I'll have to give this a try.

Thanks.

Geoff

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: [Tool] Sync

No, the plugin should automate the imports for every client. So you don't have to import Movies by the client.

But if you do so, this movie will after the next sync disappear, except the Server has already the Movie also imported. So there's no sync from Client -> Server or Client -> Client. There's only one direction and this is from Server -> Client!

joystick

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I like the idea,
    but doesn't that imply that you also have an MP Client installed on the server?
    How would I setup an initial sync, where all the movies (existing installation) are already on one client?

cheers
    joystick

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

you're right, Mediaportal has to be installed on the server - also written in the Wiki.

If you're server has no movies you have 2 options:

- you are updating all movies manually with the moving pictures importer, tv series etc. and run then the initial sync

- you copy the db3 files and all covers of moving-pictures and tv-series of your client to the server. before running the sync, check if movingpictures shows all the informations in the database. (MP Config -> plugins -> moving pictures -> database). Then run the sync.

If you have got a very big collection i would take option 2, if it's not that big and good sorted (nfo, cover, backdrop in each moviefolder) i would take option 1

Good luck ;)

Wolen

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

Right now I have three MP computers. They are setup as follows:

1- Main
    This is my main computer I use for everything and also has MediaPortal running on it. This is a TVServer/MP Client setup. On this computer is where I put movies, music, pictures that I acquire.

2 - Living Room
    This is a standalone MP Client (no tv server, no tv access). It has it's own hard drive for movies, music and pictures. Uses Wireless connection to the network.

3 - Bedroom
    Another standalone with its own TV Server and MP Client. Doesn't have a large hard drive for the movies, music, etc so it uses the the share drive off of the Main Computer. Its wired into the network.

Now, when I add a movie to the Main computer, I run MP and get the IMDB listing as well as all the thumbs. I then use Microsofts SyncToy to copy the movie and thumbs to MP #2 in the living room, and use SyncToys to copy the thumbs to #3 in the bedroom. I then run a batch file that copies the databases to both #2 and #3.

Can I use this plugin to do the same thing, only on its own so I don't have to manually do 3 or 4 steps?

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

If I understood everything right then you could use it. You have to install the SyncServer on your Mainstation. Take care that all paths you entered in movingpictures are Network paths (e.g. \\Server\D\Movies\). For your needings you only have to check the movingpictures update.

On your #2 and #3 you have to put the syncclient. This will "copy" the database informations from #1 to #2 and #3. Also it will start syncing the covers and backdrops from #1 to the others (here you have to set up a syncback profile!)

The special thing you are asking is copying the movies from #1 to #2. In my opinion it should be possible to get this by adding another profile to syncback which is syncing the moviefiles from #1 to #2. But here can occure a error, if you wake up the devices with SyncServer all clients will be shut down after 3 minutes. If the movie hasn't copied in this time it will be shut down anyways -> corrupt movie file!

It would be easy for me to add a option into the config which gives you the ability to change these 3 minutes to a specific time. Tell me if this would help you!

Also you can't use the Standby Block option for only one client. It will block the standby if any client is online. For you it should be only #3 - not possible atm!

Otherwise you could use the standby block option and wol #1 everytime #2 or #3is waking up. So you could use #1 as full data Server, which is running all the time while #2 or #3 is running! Then you dont have to copy the movies from #1 to #2 .

Very complicated i know, hope you can understand this ;). otherwise you can ask again ;)

jojo1411

Portal Pro
    January 23, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

Has someone already made experiences with this tool? Is it working with your systems? Please tell me, if there are problems ...:D

Wolen

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2008
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

I haven't installed it yet, had too many other things going on but I should have time by the end of the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom