Translation problem - english words hardcoded! (1 Viewer)

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
After working with a swedish translation of prerelease 0.2.0.0 of MP I realized that some words in the UI cannot be referenced in the stings file. It seems like these are hardcoded into the software. I am not a programmer so I do not know the technicalities but the words are not to find in the strings file and therefore cannot be translated.

One example is the word "Teletext" (Text-TV in swedish) in the main menue och My TV. Another is the textstrings "NOW:" and "NEXT:" that can't be changed.

Can someone more involved in the programming enlighten me here? Have I done something wrong or are parts of the application written in a way that can't be translated? If so it would be really nice if someone could clean the code up and move these english words to the strings-file instead.

MrMad

Portal Pro
May 18, 2005
Göteborg
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
You have done nothing wrong. In the teletext case it seems that the value is hardcoded in the skins.
For example you can look in the mytvhome.xml file in mediaportal\skin\BlueTwo directory and you will see it hardcoded to Teletext instead of a number (<label>Teletext</label>).

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
There are instances of hard-coded strings and it sure would be nice to get rid of them so please finish what kamrat has started by using this thread to notify us of them so that we can go about fixing them in the least destructive way.

It might be wise to wait until after 0.2 is released before making any changes but that shouldn't stop us from using this thread in the meantime to prepare as much info on what needs changing.

Cheers,
Smirnoff.

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Ok! I've taken some time to look through the menues of 0.2.0.0 with a CVS from the 14:th of october.

Apart from the problems mentioned above in this thread most hard coded strings seem to be in the new settings section. Here is a list of what I have found. The biggest annoyances are of course the things in my tv and tv-guide.

"NOW:
NEXT:" (When changing channel)

"Teletext" (in my TV)

"Time Interval" (TV-guide)

There is a single "." inserted after the date and before the month in the home screen.

"Setup Wizard" (Settings screen)

"Repeat/loop slideshows" (Settings/My pictures)
"Auto Shuffle slideshow" (Settings/My pictures)

"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My movies)
"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My movies)

"Aspect ratio" (Settings/My TV)
"Timeshift buffer" (Settings/My TV)
"Auto turn on TV" (Settings/My TV)
"Recording options" (Settings/My TV)
"Channel sorting" (Settings/My TV)

And finally - in version 0.2.0 there is a new feature showing the cathegory of television shows (sports, film and more). These are only shown in english and do not show up as missing in the language strings. I don't know if these are part of the software or part of the downloaded guide-data.

I hope I have contributed to cleaning up the code in this aspect. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

If anyone else finds more problems please post them in this thread.

dragongc

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
Poland
kamrat said:
And finally - in version 0.2.0 there is a new feature showing the cathegory of television shows (sports, film and more). These are only shown in english and do not show up as missing in the language strings. I don't know if these are part of the software or part of the downloaded guide-data.
Which databese do you use - IMDB?? I think that this cathegory name is taken directly from IMDB site.

Do you have any tool to translate form ENG to SWE ??

kamrat

Portal Pro
May 24, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
kamrat wrote:

Which databese do you use - IMDB?? I think that this cathegory name is taken directly from IMDB site.

I am using the standard XML-Scheduler. All other information about the programs are in swedish and do not need translation. Note that I am talking about the TV-guide, not the downloaded properties of a DVD from IMDB.

dragongc

Portal Member
October 11, 2005
Poland
kamrat said:
kamrat wrote:

I am using the standard XML-Scheduler. All other information about the programs are in swedish and do not need translation. Note that I am talking about the TV-guide, not the downloaded properties of a DVD from IMDB.
I missunderstood you. Sorry.

tklon

Portal Pro
September 3, 2004
Germany
Home Country
Germany Germany
kamrat said:
There is a single "." inserted after the date and before the month in the home screen.

Did you try getting rid of the dot in the plugins section of the config app. You can change the date time settings for the home plugin there.

There are 2 default settings for date/time, but you can also build your own format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom