Trouble playing various HD sources (1 Viewer)

sshaikh

Portal Member
May 11, 2009
VLC: m2ts - video, no sound, ts - plays both, BBCHD (a recording I made via MP) - plays both.

MPC-HC: plays everything.

MPC properties suggests that the m2ts contains WVC1 video, but the other files are just h264, AC3 and mpeg audio.

It seems that MPC-HC's internal TS splitter is handling these files correctly whereas MP isn't. Does MP use an internal TS splitter? Can I force it to use MPC/Gabest (which I've now installed as a standalone filter)?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Graphedit/studio don't seem to work for me, even when analysing working video. I just get blank pages. Any ideas why? Might help with figuring out the rest?

No experience with Win7 (but why do people make it hard for themselves by using an unsupported OS?) but with Vista you need 'proppage.dll' installed/registered to get GraphStudio to work, so Win7 may be the same.

Tony

sshaikh

Portal Member
    May 11, 2009
    Vista doesnt seem to want to install on this machine. What would you suggest is the next best OS? I just did a clean install of win7 again, this time x86. Exactly the same results. If using Vista will def sovle these then I'll spend some time figuring out how to install that instead, but I'm sure I had the same issues then too. In the meantime thanks for the graphedit tip, it now works okay:

HD MKV:
    mkv.jpg

BBCHD (recorded via tvserver):
    bbchd.jpg

m2ts (AVC truehd)
    m2ts.jpg

ts: (vc1 truehd)
    ts.jpg

Any clues? I'm sure I'm missing something simple here, especially since MPCHC works fine ON ALL sources.

Another solution could be to just replace MP's internal player with MPCHC - Can I use that to watch sattelite too or just video files?

And renaming the .ts files to .mkv makes them work perfectly. The same trick doesn't work for the m2ts though. All very bizarre.

Same effect running with SAF. It seems that MP File reader is incapable of connecting to any video filter.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    No, I'm not suggesting you run Vista, it's more that the 'knowledge base' of running MP on Win7 is quite small, so you're much less likely to get support from users....

It seems that MPC-HC's internal TS splitter is handling these files correctly whereas MP isn't. Does MP use an internal TS splitter?

AFAIK, MP always uses it's internal reader/splitter for MyTV (live and recorded). I don't think it uses it for MyVideo.

Can I force it to use MPC/Gabest (which I've now installed as a standalone filter)?

Try raising the filter 'merit' of the MPC-HC splitter to maximum (you can do this in GraphStudio - part of the 'insert filter' function).

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Hmm, in that case forcing to use MPC-HC's splitter won't help with live telly then...

Correct....

I don't run HD TV myself (just HD file playback) but I think the recommended codec for H.264 (i.e. BBCHD etc) is the Cyberlink PDVD7/8 one - but not the latest versions since these can't be used outside of PDVD itself....

Tony

sshaikh

Portal Member
    May 11, 2009
    Is it strictly a codec problem though? Or has this got something to do with tsreader only being able to use specific ones? I did try more than one, but maybe I was just unlucky twice. If so is there a definitive list of codecs it does and doesn't work with? I tried SAF (which I presume comes with tsreader-compatible codecs) and that didn't work either.

I'll try PDVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom