Troubleshooting Windows 10, Sleep Mode, and TV-Server (Powerscheduler) (1 Viewer)

nopunin10did

Portal Member
August 4, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So, I'm having an issue with my PC that occurs after the TV-Server wakes up to grab EPG or do a recording.
It may simply be a coincidence, but it does seem to occur overnight (when all the TV-Server routines are set to wake up the machine).

Basically, when I either hit a keyboard key or the power button in the morning, the fans turn on and the power button starts flashing on my tower. There's no signal to the display, and I have to do a hard power off/on cycle to get everything to start back up again.

Once, I've even found my PC in the morning with the fans going, power button flashing, and no display... but I hadn't actually woken it myself.

It's almost like there's some major component not waking up.

Where can I start to gather logs to debug this issue? I know there's some that TV-Server writes, but I'd also like to check my Windows 10 power logs to see if there's some other driver at fault.

PS: I know I need to get my specs loaded before I can get any real support; I'll make sure to get those ASAP.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    You can play with windows event viewer and add "kernel and power flavored" items to a custom list to see what msft writes in logs. I made one of these when I was looking into wakeup problems.The following is a list of win7 events I used, not sure what this looks like in for win10. And like anything in windows its always a question of what is says vs what it really means. I put in things to show wake on lan, wake on usb (keyboard/mouse) etc. But really just groping in the dark for hints on why win7 woke up.

Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Client,Microsoft-Windows-Dhcp-Nap-Enforcement-Client,Microsoft-Windows-DHCPv6-Client,Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Acpi,Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Boot,Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power,Power,Microsoft-Windows-PowerCfg,Microsoft-Windows-PowerCpl,Microsoft-Windows-Power-Troubleshooter,usbperf,Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB,Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT

start event viewer, click on create custom view, eventlog = system, eventsources = open list pick what sounds useful

I solved all my sleep/wakeup problems with a big sledge hammer, disabled windows sleep and MePo powerscheduler

nopunin10did

Portal Member
    August 4, 2015
    Home Country
    Your recommendation regarding the windows logs to search was very helpful. I found a problem with my scanner driver that was putting the computer in a bad state when it went to sleep. When I woke it manually, whatever was wrong would self-correct, but when Powerscheduler was waking it, the computer would crap the bed.

Fixing the driver issue seems to have made the problem go away for now. I've got that windows log search saved for future. It should come in handy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom