Tuning channels with quad tuner question (1 Viewer)

Mattpm

May 17, 2019
Home Country
Australia Australia
Hi,

I'm a bit confused with doing the initial scan for channels; (I'm coming from Windows Media Center if that helps provide some context). I have a quad TV tuner (DVB) which has just the single RF input i.e. each tuner receives the same signal source - so the channels received for each tuner will be identical. Do I scan for channels on all four tuners? Or do I just scan for channels on one of the tuners?

thanks

Matt

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Or do I just scan for channels on one of the tuners?
    Scanning just one tuner is enough. Once complete you can map all channels to the other tuners (TV COnfig: Channels/Mapping).

Mattpm

May 17, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Scanning just one tuner is enough. Once complete you can map all channels to the other tuners (TV COnfig: Channels/Mapping).

Cheers. Do you have to map channels to each tuner one-by-one, or is there a way to map the same channels to all tuners?

thanks again

Mattpm

May 17, 2019
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    No, but you can can map all channels in one go.
    Select the top one and press shift + end. and then the >> button.
    hth mrj

Ok, thanks. I wasn't quite understanding where you indicate which channels you want to see in the guide.

I now have a better grasp on the process:
    1. Scan channels for one of the tuners checking the create digital terrestrial group option
    2. Map all channels to the other (3) tuners
    3. Within the channel groups, digital terrestrial group tab, remove the channels you don't want - rename the group if desired.
    4. Switch off the all channels group in the media portal client.

All good so far, just no guide data as yet. Within WMC, it just automatically grabs the EPG for the channels you have scanned (except of course the channels you've disabled) without additional configuration. Do you explicitly need to configure this for all of the channels within Media Portal or is it just a matter of waiting a while?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Within WMC, it just automatically grabs the EPG for the channels you have scanned
    Microsoft was paying a lot of money for this. Obviously we are not in a position to offer similar services.;)

Do you explicitly need to configure this
    Yes. Ideally there is one channel that offers the complete complete guide information that you can set up to grab EPG. Don't tick all channels as this will cause EPG to be grabbed from each channel sequentially, causing your PC to never enter the idle state anymore.

The path forward depends on your local situation. Maybe some other users who are also located in Australia can give some advice how to proceed.

Lichloathe

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2007
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am in Perth Australia and this works perfectly for me (and has done for 10 years).
    See images 1 and 2.
    Note, you only need to grab any one channel on each of the channel groups.
    ABC,7,9,10,SBS and for me WestTV.
    I do use MP1 but this will work for MP2.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      84.1 KB
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      92.2 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom