TV audio issues (1 Viewer)

hey__me

Portal Pro
March 12, 2009
I am using SAF 6.0 on htpc. For the most part everything works perfect all files play perfectly. However I seem to have audio issues while watch some ATSC tv. It is usually only commercials but some shows as well. I am watch CBC right now (Rick Mercer Report) and every commercial has no sound but the main program is perfect. Other times (on different channels) I get distorted audio in the rear channels. I am just looking at the tuning details on a no sound show and I have AudioPid 52(AC3) 53 (AC3) If I change audio language from English (ENG) AC3 to Estonian (ES) AC3 the audio is once again ok and in english.

I am using the LAV audio decoder.

Any idea how to troubleshoot this further?

I also have another problem where on Recorded PBS I get the descriptive audio overlaid and can't turn it off.

MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: Windows 7 64Bit SP1
CPU Type: P5Q-EM - 2.8Ghz
HDD: 500GB WDC
Memory: 4GB
Motherboard: Asus
Video Card: Intel Intergrated
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: Integrated
Sound Card AC3: Optical out
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Haupauge 2250
1. TV Card Type: ATSC/NTSC
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote: Logitech 880
TV: LG 42"
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi hey__me

However I seem to have audio issues while watch some ATSC tv. It is usually only commercials but some shows as well. I am watch CBC right now (Rick Mercer Report) and every commercial has no sound but the main program is perfect.
    It is possible that the broadcaster doesn't broadcast any audio in the stream that you're listening to. Alternatively they may change the audio encoding/channels/bit-rate/bit-depth during commercials and the codec you're using may not be able to handle it.

How many audio streams are available on that channel?
    What happens if you stop and then start TV again after the audio has gone silent - does it come back, and how many audio streams are available for that channel at that time?

Other times (on different channels) I get distorted audio in the rear channels.
    No comment - sorry no idea. Probably a broadcaster or codec-specific setting.

I am just looking at the tuning details on a no sound show and I have AudioPid 52(AC3) 53 (AC3) If I change audio language from English (ENG) AC3 to Estonian (ES) AC3 the audio is once again ok and in english.
    Sometimes the broadcasters will supply multiple AC3 streams. It is possible that one is stereo and one is 5.1. They may not have 5.1 audio for the commercials, hence the silence.

I also have another problem where on Recorded PBS I get the descriptive audio overlaid and can't turn it off.
    How many audio streams are available for PBS? If there is only one then you could try enabling dual-mono switching (audio settings tab -->here<--). Otherwise, try changing to a different audio stream.

mm

hey__me

Portal Pro
    March 12, 2009
    I agree that the audio format is changing on commercials (as some work and others don't) - probably to 2 channel AC3 and my receiver then isn't processing it correctly. What is the recommended codec for ATSC TV. There has to be people using it. Over the last year or so I have tried SAF4 SAF5 and SAF6 with the recommended codec setup with no luck.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

What is the recommended codec for ATSC TV.
    Sure there are plenty of people using MP for ATSC but I'm afraid that is an impossible question to answer. Broadcasters do things differently from region to region so any recommendation would just say that a codec works in a particular region. Are you using LAV to actually decode the audio to PCM, or are you passing it out to the receiver as AC3 over SPDIF or something?

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom