TV channels not found in Media Portal, but seem to work in TV-Server configuration (1 Viewer)

Doobs

August 6, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Hello, new user here, like many looking for an alternative to windows media center. I installed and setup Mediaportal 1, using the 1 click installation for all the default settings. I setup the tv server, and was able to watch tv, it seemed ok. I then tried to setup tv guide, using webepg. That took a LONG time to figure out, but I did manage to get that working too, and it downloaded program data. However, after accomplishing that, I can no longer watch tv. I go into mediaportal, and click on tv, and try to turn on live tv, and it says channel not found. Does not matter which channel I try, none seem to be working. I went thru a few threads, but couldn't find anything specifically to help me. I can't figure out what the tv guide setup did to break the tv working, and maybe it's unrelated.

I wasn't sure what logs may or may not be helpful, so I used the watchdog to dump everything. Also took a brief snapshot of basic system specs, and am using an HD Homerun for the tv tuner. If you need something more specific, let me know and I'll try to produce it. Any help you can offer is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• specs.JPG
    specs.JPG
    31.6 KB

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    not sure what causing your problem, compared my test system 1 ATSC HDHR tuner works fine, looks like you also are using 1 ATSC HDHR. A couple comments

1. double check you have both DVB/EPG grabbing options disabled, DVB does not apply to USA, just a sanity check
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration/TV-Server_Configuration/05_DVB_EPG

2. looks like only 1 HDHR tuner has channels mapped, look at
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels/2_Mapping

Ron log
    [2015-08-06 14:48:21,648] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - Controller: card:3 type:Atsc can tune to channel
    [2015-08-06 14:48:21,652] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - Controller: card:4 type:Atsc can tune to channel
    [2015-08-06 14:48:21,653] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - Controller: found 2 card(s) for channel
    Doob log
    [2015-08-06 06:01:38,910] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - Controller: card:3 type:Atsc can tune to channel
    [2015-08-06 06:01:38,912] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - Controller: card:4 type:Atsc channel not mapped
    [2015-08-06 06:01:38,914] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - Controller: found 1 card(s) for channel
    probably not causing problem, but look at mapping so both tuners work

3. for some reason your tuner is not finding "good stuff" when it tries to tune

Ron Log, shows good start, I'm watching while I type
    [2015-08-06 14:48:21,697] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - dvb: RunGraph
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,048] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal ok
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,049] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 OnGraphStarted
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,050] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 SetupPmtGrabber:pid 0 sid:1
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,051] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 set pmt grabber pmt:0 sid:1
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,052] [Log ] [22 ] [DEBUG] - TimeShifter.OnAfterTune: resetting audio/video time
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,053] [Log ] [22 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Waiting for PMT 0
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,081] [Log ] [57 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 OnPMTReceived() pmt:30 ran:True dynamic:False
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,082] [Log ] [22 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Found PMT after 0.0290208 seconds.
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,150] [Log ] [57 ] [DEBUG] - Updated PMT Pid to 30!
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,151] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 SendPmt:1 1 FFFFFFFF 18
    [2015-08-06 14:48:22,152] [Log ] [22 ] [INFO ] - Decode pmt

Doob Log,
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,218] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - dvb: RunGraph
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,636] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - dvb: LockInOnSignal ok
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,640] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 OnGraphStarted
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,648] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 SetupPmtGrabber:pid 0 sid:4
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,652] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - subch:0 set pmt grabber pmt:0 sid:4
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,658] [Log ] [21 ] [DEBUG] - TimeShifter.OnAfterTune: resetting audio/video time
    [2015-08-06 06:01:40,662] [Log ] [21 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Waiting for PMT 0
    [2015-08-06 06:01:50,665] [Log ] [21 ] [DEBUG] - WaitForPMT: Timed out waiting for PMT after 10.0035721 seconds. Increase the PMT timeout value?
    [2015-08-06 06:01:50,669] [Log ] [21 ] [DEBUG] - Setting to 0 to search for new PMT.

no idea why you can't find PMT after waiting 10 seconds.

since you are using HDHR, you should have some HDHR debug tools like HDHRconfig see pict. from my system, in your logs you are tuning to
    [2015-08-06 06:01:39,989] [Log ] [21 ] [INFO ] - atsc:Tune:ATSC:tv:Terrestrial Movies! Freq:-1 ONID:4 TSID:1481 SID:4 PMT:0x0 FTA:True LCN:7 phys:7 maj:2 min:2 mod:Mod8Vsb

Based on phys:7, you would enter 7 for the channel number, should see lots of green when HDHR tunes to Terrestrial Movies!

Attachments

• hdhr_config.PNG
      hdhr_config.PNG
      17.4 KB
    Last edited:

Doobs

August 6, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Ron,

I appreciate the response, but unfortunately, still having a problem. I unchecked everything in the DVB settings, which did not help. The reason the channels are mapped on only one tuner... with my antenna, I can get 40 something channels.... kind of. I really only am interested in the basic locals, nbc, abc, cbs, fox... so I had mapped those to both tuners, and nothing else.... so only those would show up, and only those would be mapped for epg... etc. When I had both tuners configured that way, it was working fine. After getting webepg working, and losing the tv, I mapped the other channels to 1 tuner, to see if I could watch one of those, thinking maybe my channel mapping for EPG had somehow corrupted those channels I had also gotten epg for. This did not work... still can't watch any channel.

As for debug on the homerun... I don't think the issue is there. With homerun view, and wmc... I can STILL watch tv. It's only in the mediaportal tv plugin that I get channel not found. Here's a screenshot of watching live tv on homerun view, while simultaneouly getting a channel error in MP.

The only other step that occurred, that I can't believe has anything to do with anything, is the first time I configured webepg, I went straight to imdb.com with my zip code (48170) and mapped channels accordingly. using this link http://www.imdb.com/tvgrid/2015-08-06/2000/?zip=48170 I mapped wdiv to NBC, wwj to cbs, etc. I grabbed EPG, and it worked. Went into mediaportal, and could watch tv, and had program guide info... For everything except fox. Fox returned only local programming for 24 hours... which makes sense, as that's what IMDB reports. http://www.imdb.com/tvgrid/2015-08-06/Fox/

I then ammended the link in imdb.com file in the grabber folder, to use site url http://www.imdb.com/tvgrid/2015-08-06/2000/?zip=48170&hit_go=1&tv_prov=MI02206. This changed my mappings from wdiv-hd = NBC to wdiv-hd=wdiv, and so on. By the way, this was like another hour of screwing around, as I had to go to a whole other area of the wiki to learn that the & I added to that link needed to be written & might want to add that to the webepg main directions page. Anyway, when making this change to my grabber file, I successfully grabbed EPG for all channels (those that were mapped to a card, nbc, abc, cbs, fox, pbs, and cw). I got program info. I also lost the ability to watch any tv in media portal. I can't figure out why those would be related, but that's all I changed, in between tv working and not working.

After that, I UNmapped all channles in webepg plugin, in tv server setup. I regrabbed epg, got 0 shows on 0 channels, saved.... and tried tv again. TV guide info STILL shows up in mediaportal, and no channels. I expected that the tv guide info would be wiped, I have checked delete server database on grab. So I have to believe the connection between tv server and mp client is broken, but if I check it, it says it's ok.

Any other thoughts? My only other thought was, uninstall the whole package, and start over from scratch. Willing to do, but not knowing what I did wrong, not sure that will help. What do you think?

Thanks again for replying... hopefully you have another idea?
    example.JPG
    connection.JPG

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    a couple comments.

MePo does NOT need EPG to watch TV, obviously in the long run you want get EPG running so you are not stuck in a 70's timewarp using newspaper tv listings. So suggest you take 2 steps back make sure basic TV tune by channel works.

1. Start MP1 client, I pressed Alt-Enter to exit full screen, moved MP to main PC window. In TV Home you should be able click on Channel, select/switch to any channel you want, no EPG. I'm running HDHR Config to see what my tuner is doing. Make sure this works 1st. Double check for the channels(s) that are causing problems.

To erase the internal EPG data, TV Server Config > Manual Control, press Refresh DVB EPG, ignore the popup message does not apply to USA, but this will clear the EPG for testing.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/TV-Server_Configuration/11_Manual_Control

My brain is still not connecting to your "Not Found" problem. So as a test in Manual Control press Stop Service wait a few seconds then press Start. This will basically reset/restart the TV Server engine and start new log files. In TV Home select a "good" channel make sure it works, then select a "Not Found" channel. If you have hdhr config running you can see the channels change when you switch. In the forum message list the channels you tested so I know what to look for in the logs. The TV Server Log folder has error debug log files. Make a zip file of all the logs and upload the zip. For win7/8 logs are in the following folder

C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log

2. For WebEPG, you should be able to use the original URL that came with the grabber. You do need to set the ZIPCODE in start_date=[YYYY]-[MM]-[DD]/?zip=ZIPCODE to get the timezone corrected TV listings.

But when you are looking at imdb tv listings you need to select a ZIPCODE, then a CABLE lineup. When you 1st go to imdb they show generic TV zone based listings. This only has "network view" for channel listings, ABC, CBS etc, but does not have your local stations and listings, 10pm news, etc. After setting a ZIP/CABLE, imdb customizes the listings with local channels, wdiv , wwj, etc as you found. There are some words in the setup guide about this topic, Bullet #2 under Site IDs.

Attachments

• TV_Home.PNG
      TV_Home.PNG
      891.7 KB

Doobs

August 6, 2015
    Home Country
    I tried erasing the EPG database, that didn't help at all. There were NO good channels, all of them were not found. I did try using the channel select in MePo, and had HDHR config open, as you suggested. MePo definitely sent a command to the tuner, it did go to the channel requested, and HDHR config would show the channel tuned, and green bars on all 3 signal indicators. After 10 sec or so, MePo would say channel not found, and HDHR would go back to showing idle.

Ultimately, I decided to start over. I uninstalled MePo, using the full product removal option to get rid of everything. Re installed, setup everything again, without knowingly doing anything different (other than fewer rookie mistakes this time). And everything seems to be working now. WebEPG is working, tv guide working, live tv working, and I even recorded a show, and it all seems to work fine. No clue why it wasn't working before, but it appears all good now.

2. For WebEPG, you should be able to use the original URL that came with the grabber. You do need to set the ZIPCODE in start_date=[YYYY]-[MM]-[DD]/?zip=ZIPCODE to get the timezone corrected TV listings.

But when you are looking at imdb tv listings you need to select a ZIPCODE, then a CABLE lineup. When you 1st go to imdb they show generic TV zone based listings. This only has "network view" for channel listings, ABC, CBS etc, but does not have your local stations and listings, 10pm news, etc. After setting a ZIP/CABLE, imdb customizes the listings with local channels, wdiv , wwj, etc as you found. There are some words in the setup guide about this topic, Bullet #2 under Site IDs.

Just some feedback from a user perspective here... I did go back and find this info in the wiki, as you say. 2 things about this were confusing. First, the WebEPG setup page under configuration tools, http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/TV-Server_Configuration/13_Plugins/WebEPG says nothing about the IMDB setup, but does have other useful information, while the setup page under setup guides http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ides/2_TV_Setup/4_TV_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/WebEPG does have more useful information for what I needed. I had read the latter the first time thru trying to setup webepg, but kept only going back to the first link on subsequent visits, not realizing that I was in 2 different areas. Couldnt figure out why I couldnt find the IMDB info again. Is there a way to better co-locate all the webepg info? or a link between?

Second, as you said, there are specific instructions on finding the local station info beyond the generic network view. What was not clear, and caused me a long delay in getting things working, is this also changes the URL that the grabber file needs to point to. I took the literal direction "You do need to set the ZIPCODE in start_date=[YYYY]-[MM]-[DD]/?zip=ZIPCODE to get the timezone corrected TV listings." and changed ZIPCODE to my zipcode. But I had used the local cable page, 1 page further in, for the actual channel ID's. So it didnt work. I finally realized I had to add that whole string, zipcode+custom string to the grabber file URL line. Then it all worked. As a user, that could have been spelled out more clearly in the directions, tho I admit I'm a noob when it comes to a lot of this programming stuff.

Thanks for all your help. It looks like a great software package, and I'm impressed with the level of support. My feedback on the wiki is just my 2 cents, whether it's valuable or not, I'll leave to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom