TV freezes after some minutes (1 Viewer)

Nemesis

August 25, 2013
Home Country
Germany Germany
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
Hi
When i watch live tv the video and audio freezes after 5-10 minutes and if i turn the "TV" off and on again it freezes almost immediatly. After a tv service restart i can watch for some minutes without a problem and then it freezes again. I have this problem for ca. 2 weeks now. 1 week ago i installed 1.4 for 1.1? (i'm not sure) but it didn't change my problem. Before the freezes occured i could watch live tv without a problem for ca. 6 months.
I hope you can help me please :)

Steps to Reproduce:
start live TV, wait 5-10 minutes, video and audio freezes

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Nemesis :)

It looks like the issue is coming from the TV Server. I can see continuity errors in the TsWriter log files.
    Do you have any real-time scanning/security software such as MS Security Essentials installed?
    Is there any other software running that would be heavily using the HDD?

mm

Nemesis

August 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey
    Thanks for the quick response :)
    The only security software i installed is Avira Free Antivirus, i disabled it but that had no impact.
    Then I looked into the hdd usage in the taskmanager while i was running live tv and i noticed that the tvservice process and the system process (ntoskrnl.exe in the system32 folder) spike sometimes very high (like 90% hdd usage) together for 2 or 3 seconds and then after another 5-10 seconds the live tv stutters and freezes to death. The whole time before and after that hugh spike the hdd usage doesn't even reach 10%.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the quick response :)
    No problem. :)

The only security software i installed is Avira Free Antivirus, i disabled it but that had no impact.
    Okay.

Then I looked into the hdd usage in the taskmanager while i was running live tv and i noticed that the tvservice process and the system process (ntoskrnl.exe in the system32 folder) spike sometimes very high (like 90% hdd usage) together for 2 or 3 seconds and then after another 5-10 seconds the live tv stutters and freezes to death. The whole time before and after that hugh spike the hdd usage doesn't even reach 10%.
    How much free space does your timeshift HDD have?

Nemesis

August 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You mean the HDD where windows and the the mediaportal stuff is installed?
    100 GB free of 372GB total
    Edit: Additionally the ntoskrnl.exe was last editet on the 14.7.13 due to a bunch of windows updates
    that means that its in the period where the problems began because before i discovered the problems two weeks ago i haven't watched live tv for some weeks
    so maybe the windows updates caused the problem?

Last edited:

Nemesis

August 25, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm not sure what you mean exactly. I'm sorry.
    The General and the Folders tab are exactly the same as in the link (i have another card of course) and C: is the HDD i mentioned above

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom