TV frequently hangs, but only on one station's ID's/bumps (1 Viewer)

litljay

Portal Member
March 2, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0
MediaPortal Skin: DefaultWide
Windows Version: XP SP3
CPU Type: Intel P4 2.66GHz
HDD: 2 x WD SATA, 1 x 300GB, 1 x 80GB
Memory: 3 GB DDR-400
Motherboard: Asus P4S800D-X
Video Card: Asus ATI Radeon HD3450 HDMI AGP
Video Card Driver: 8.872.0.0
Sound Card: None (using HDMI pass-through)
Sound Card AC3: using HDMI pass-through
Sound Card Driver: n/a
1. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600
1. TV Card Type: Hybrid analog/ATSC/QAM, using it for clear QAM only
1. TV Card Driver: 1.62.28243.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: ffdshow
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPC - MPA
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider: Suddenlink
HTPC Case: nmediaPC 600B
Cooling: all stock
Power Supply: don't ask
Remote:
TV: hauppauge 45 button
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I've been having this problem pretty regularly since 1.1.3. TV works fine, sometimes for hours, and then the picture will freeze during a station identifier or during the station bump at the beginning/end of a commercial break. The sound goes on uninterrupted. It only happens on Fox News, too. I guess it has something to do with the compression algorithm that they use for their little animated graphics, but it is annoying! I can get back to normal tv viewing by simply stopping tv and restarting it, but if the freeze happens in a bump between commercials and programming, we will miss several seconds of the program.

I have tried changing the video codec a few times and gotten no improvement. I don't know what else to dinker with.

I replicated the problem and logs are attached: View attachment 90421

TIA!

J

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi litljay

I hope you are well! :)
    So it looks like they are changing the resolution of the channel feed momentarily. The channel starts as:

TsReaderPlayer: OnVideoFormatChanged - streamtype=MPEG2 resolution=704x480 aspect ratio=4:3 bitrate=15000000 isInterlaced=True

Then it changes:

TsReaderPlayer: OnVideoFormatChanged - streamtype=MPEG2 resolution=528x480 aspect ratio=4:3 bitrate=15000000 isInterlaced=True

I think you're doing the right thing by trying to tinker with codecs - some will handle that change but others definitely won't. You could also try the TsReader from -->here<--.

mm

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Just hanging in, mm.

I can't imagine how I knew you would be the one to hop straight to my aid!

Can you suggest any particular codec? You know why Ffdshow is off the table. This happens with Gabest. I think that wraps up my options as far as what's included with k-lite, so I'm going to have to go fishing elsewhere.

Thanks for the help (again).

We're probably going to have this same conversation again about my remote once this is resolved, by the way. Keep an eye out for that thread.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You know why Ffdshow is off the table.
    Yes, indeed I do. :)
    Unfortunately that rules out one of the best free MPEG 2 codecs out there, and the other thing is that many free codecs are based on ffmpeg. At the risk of putting my foot in it here, I would be curious whether updating to the latest version and trying both libavcodec and libmpeg would help. At least we would know immediately why it doesn't work if it doesn't work. ;)

Anyhow, all that to say that I'm not aware of any good free MPEG 2 codecs that are not based on ffmpeg.

mm

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You know why Ffdshow is off the table.
    Yes, indeed I do. :)
    Unfortunately that rules out one of the best free MPEG 2 codecs out there, and the other thing is that many free codecs are based on ffmpeg. At the risk of putting my foot in it here, I would be curious whether updating to the latest version and trying both libavcodec and libmpeg would help. At least we would know immediately why it doesn't work if it doesn't work. ;)

Anyhow, all that to say that I'm not aware of any good free MPEG 2 codecs that are not based on ffmpeg.

mm

I think Gabest was the only one that wasn't - the LAV filters are the current fashion, but the decoders are ffmpeg based....

Otherwise the Cyberlink codecs are the probably the best bet for XP - if you want to stay 100% legal I'm sure you could pick up an old copy of PDVD for peanuts (I used to use PDVD7 decoders happily with MP until I got PDVD9 recently with a Blu-Ray drive).

Tony

Knobby

Portal Pro
    February 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but did this issue get resolved?

I´m having exactly the same issue. My MP computer has been fine for weeks, then last week I started to get this freeze when going from a tv programme to the commercials. The picture freezes but the audio carries on working fine. Sometimes I can fix this by moving up/down a channel then back again, but sometimes it just stays on the frozen picture and I have to stop the tv then restart it. I can´t understand why this has just started happening in the last week - everything was fine before then and I haven´t added anything except skins/plugins for MP.

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    I fixed it (and a few other playback issues) by manually reinstalling ffdshow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom