[solved] TV goes out of sync (1 Viewer)

whatisk

Portal Pro
May 21, 2007
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
I am experiencing some issues with live TV. It will start off fine, but after some time (usually an hour or so, sometimes more, sometimes less), the picture and sound will lose sync. If I turn off live TV or change the channel then back again, all is okay again. Sometimes for the rest of the viewing session, other times it will happen again. Sometimes when it happens the picture stutters or seems to be in slow motion while the audio is fine and plays normally.

I have tried combinations of codecs as well as using and not using a RAM Drive for timeshift (I never pause, rewind or record live TV). I was wanting to try MadVR, however I have found that when watching a video, etc using it when it stops or I stop it MePo minimises itself (I have another thread for that). I have also tried using primarily SD rather than HD channels but that doesn't seem to make a difference either.

Was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what the issue could be. It seems to be getting progressively more prevalent as I update MePo to newer verisons, so am also considering downgrading to a previous version to see if it still exhibits the behaviour. I have also considered just using the TV directly when I want to watch it, however it isn't compatible with some of the newer channels codecs due to it's age.

I have attached logs that were taken when the out of sync behaviour was happening. PC and other specs in my profile are up to date.

Cheers all.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Please attach screenshots of your LAV audio and LAV video codec settings.

Furthermore, given that there are many continuity errors in the TsWriter log:
    [2017-08-19 17:07:51,790] [4cc1870] [424] - Recorder:pid 401 Continuity error... 3 ( prev e ) - bad signal?

...please confirm that:
    1. Your signal strength/quality as adequate.
    2. Any and all security software you run is configured to trust TV Server and not scan your timeshifting and recording folders.

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks for the reply.

I have attached screenshots as requested. If you need the other tabs as well let me know.
    lavaudio1.JPG lavaudio2.JPG lavvideo.JPG lavvideo2.JPGconfig.JPG
    Ironically enough, the channels that give the most grief (probably because I watch them the most) have level and quality as 100% in Manual Control in TV Server Settings. Another channel that I don't seem to have the issue with has around 65% level and quality and seems to get more discontinuities than the other channels that regularly go out of sync.
    tv1.JPG tv2.JPG
    I don't run any AV on the HTPC. The only security software that would be running is Windows Defender. I have now added exclusions in for the Timeshift and Recording folders. If there are others that should be added let me know and I'll add those as well.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have attached screenshots as requested.
    Thanks.

In the LAV video settings, I'd recommend to change the "Hardware decoder to use" setting from "Intel QuickSync" to "DXVA (Native)".

Ironically enough...
    Okay, then it's something to keep an eye on.
    I note that discontinuities can fill up the log file, and the larger the log file gets, the more potential there is for trouble regardless of channel and signal strength/quality. So, even if the discontinuities appear to have nothing to do with the sync issue, I'd strongly recommend to sort them out if possible.

The only security software that would be running is Windows Defender.
    ...and indeed if you'd searched the forum you'd find many reports of problems that have been caused by Windows Defender.

I have now added exclusions in for the Timeshift and Recording folders.
    (y)

If there are others that should be added let me know and I'll add those as well.
    You could exclude the MediaPortal and TV Server install folders, and also exclude MediaPortal and TV Server as programs. Some people don't feel comfortable doing this. I would, but it's up to you.

whatisk

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    In the LAV video settings, I'd recommend to change the "Hardware decoder to use" setting from "Intel QuickSync" to "DXVA (Native)".
    Done. The option I had was DXVA2 (Native) so I assume that's what you meant.

I note that discontinuities can fill up the log file, and the larger the log file gets, the more potential there is for trouble regardless of channel and signal strength/quality. So, even if the discontinuities appear to have nothing to do with the sync issue, I'd strongly recommend to sort them out if possible.
    To be honest I don't know what they are. I had a bit of a search but couldn't really find an explanation. Should I be clearing/deleting the log files regularly if their size can cause issues?

...and indeed if you'd searched the forum you'd find many reports of problems that have been caused by Windows Defender.
    You could exclude the MediaPortal and TV Server install folders, and also exclude MediaPortal and TV Server as programs. Some people don't feel comfortable doing this. I would, but it's up to you.
    I don't mind excluding things. The only thing the HTPC is used for is MePo (streaming from my NAS and watching live TV) and very rarely (in cases such as this) surfing the net or using the Online Videos plugin.
    I have excluded the following from Windows Defender:
    • Folders: Timeshift and Recording folders (Timeshift currently being a RAM drive), C:\Program Files (x86)\Team Mediaportal (I'm assuming this would include the subfolders where TVService and MePo reside)
    • Files: TVService.exe, Mediaportal.exe (I think this just stops it from scanning the exe itself?)
    • Processes: TvService, Mediaportal
    If it may help, I'm happy to disable Windows Defender altogether to test or disable and look at running something else to get some protection. At one stage I was running the free version of BitDefender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom