[confirm] TV Lipsync problem when using FFDSHOW on MP 1.3.0 Beta (1 Viewer)

Did you know that FFDSHOW has a feature that helps to fight the station logo pixel burn-in issue?

• Total voters

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    When using FFDSHOW codec, there is a lipsync problem in TV with MP 1.3.0. Beta - audio is 0.5-1 seconds behind the video. The problem is noticeable in live and recorded TV, standard and HD.

If I switch the codec to LAV the problem disappears. I would blame FFDSHOW, but I use FFDSHOW in 1.2.3 and I never had any lipsync problem.

I know that the official codec of choice is LAV now. But LAV is missing logoaway feature (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...the-screen-burn-in-problem.96872/#post-748993) and doesn't handle subtitles and closed captions as good as FFDSHOW. I love FFDSHOW and am currently using build 4486.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. Select FFDSHOW as your video decoder.
    2. Playback live or recorded video.

Logs attached. By the way, from the log you might see I that aero is disabled. This is not the cause of the problem. We discussed this problem before (https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...nitor-and-windows-7-aero-theme-enabled.96628/) Aero in dual motitor systems causes lots of fideo drops. With aero disabled I have zero or almost zero drops, so I always disable aero and again, I never had problems with similar setup in 1.2.3.

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hi, you can try to add ffdshow as post process filter and lav video as decoder :)
    Does it change something ?
    Thanks.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'll take a look - I originally put in the workaround to make FFDShow usable for TV, so maybe something has got broken along the way....

That said (and I know you have specific reasons for using it), FFDShow has a bug/feature related to A/V sync handling that makes it a bad choice for TV, so I don't recommend it.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    OK - the problem is that the FFDShow workaround is only enabled if FFDShow video decoder is directly connected to the output pin of TsReader.ax (otherwise it doesn't know that FFDShow video decoder is in the graph).

From the TsReader log:

26-12-2012 21:13:17.431 [19d4]audPin:CompleteConnect() ok, filter: ffdshow Audio Decoder
    26-12-2012 21:13:17.445 [19d4]vidPin:CompleteConnect() ok, filter: Core CC Parser
    26-12-2012 21:13:17.485 [19d4]vidPin:CompleteConnect() ok, filter: Core CC Parser
    26-12-2012 21:13:17.485 [19d4]subPin:CompleteConnect() ok, filter: MediaPortal DVBSub3

....the video pin is connected to the 'Core CC Parser' filter, not FFDShow video decoder.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Attached is a version of TsReader.ax with a mod to allow the FFDShow sync workaround to be forced 'on' via a registry value.

Close MP, replace TsReader.ax in the MP program folder with the attached version, open MP, play some TV to get the registry key created (with the default setting), then open regedit and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Team MediaPortal\TsReader

In there you should find an entry called "ForceFFDShowSyncFix" - change the value from 0 to 1 to enable the override.

Hopefully that will fix the problem - if it doesn't then there may be a problem with the intermediate 'Core CC parser' filter not passing discontinuity info down the filter chain to FFDShow video decoder.

Tony

Attachments

• TsReader_noStopMod64.zip
      167 KB

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Tony: I followed your instructions and the problem has gone now!
    Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!! :):):)

Core CC parser causes stuttering on this computer (although it works fine on my second (client) PC), so I have to disable it anyways until I find out what the problem is.

Will you be distributing the new TsReader.ax and the registry fix for the next version?

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country

greybox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 23, 2009
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Thank you!
    Do the FFDSHOW programmers have a public bugtracking system? Is it possible for us to report the problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom