TV picture cropped on monitor (1 Viewer)

oz4me

May 31, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have just installed Media Portal 1.3.0 and it looks and works very well with one niggling problem: my tv picture is cropped all around. I had the same problem with MCE. Strangely, the software that came with the DNTV Live tuner card displayed the full picture with no cropping but is useless for anything else. I am using Media Portal to watch tv on my 24" 1080 monitor so the problem is in my computer and doesn't have anything to do with a connected tv. Any ideas? I reviewed a lot of threads but they mostly were about connected tvs.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Watch TV, Press F9 -> Aspect Ratio, Set to Normal.

Screenshots of you playing live tv in mediaportal and screenshot of you on the homescreen might also help.[DOUBLEPOST=1369986804][/DOUBLEPOST]Also disable view mode swticher

oz4me

May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank you for the quick reply. I set the aspect ratio to normal and have attached some screen shots, live tv and home screen. If you look at the bottom right of the tv capture you can see how the logo is cut off. I also noticed that it is doing it when playing movies as well. I will find view mode switcher and try disabling that. Thanks again.

Attachments

• TV Capture.jpg
      TV Capture.jpg
      24.2 KB
    • Home Screen Capture.jpg
      Home Screen Capture.jpg
      24.4 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The screenshots are not the same resolution or aspect ratio, can you repost without editing them or changing the size of them. thanks.

There are also crop settings via the F9 menu, but these should all be zero by default.

Last edited:

oz4me

May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Here are the screenshots you wanted. Crop settings are 0. I also disabled view mode switcher.

Attachments

• Home screen.jpg
      Home screen.jpg
      208.8 KB
    • Full screen tv.jpg
      Full screen tv.jpg
      104.3 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If the home screen is cropped then the problem is almost certainly outside MP.
    What MP is seeing as far as display resolution and screen are logged:
    2013-05-31 16:07:42.502531 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: D3D: Client size: 1920x1080 - Screen: 1920x1080
    2013-05-31 16:07:42.506531 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: d3dapp: Graphic adapter 'AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series' is using driver version '8.17.10.1191'

I'd suggest you check your monitor and GPU settings. For example, ATI/AMD Catalyst Control Center has scaling options.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Here are the screenshots you wanted. Crop settings are 0. I also disabled view mode switcher.

The home screen image you accidentally cropped in your image software, because it is not 1920x1080 resolution.

However the full screen tv image is correct it is 1920x1080

The fulls screen tv image shows the tv station's logo cut off. This means it's not related to your tv display not showing the whole image.

Last edited:

oz4me

May 31, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thank you for your quick action. I will dig into ATI and monitor settings.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Wait don't do that yet. I disagree that the problem is related to video card or display monitor. Try the other suggestion from mm1323525235

Since the 1920x1080 full screen tv image has the logo cut off one of the following must be correct

1. Problem at source
    The image is broadcast with the logo cut off (This happens when they broadcast old 4:3 footage, the cut the bottom + top off to make fit on 16:9 displays)

2. Problem with capture
    I can't comment

3. MP client is cropping / zooming
    You eliminated this problem

4. Problem graphic card resolution / tv display zoom
    It can't be any of this because the screenshot shows the logo is cut off (ie the logo is cut off before gets displayed on your tv. And also your resolution is correct 16:9

-------------

I think the most likely problem is that the tv station cuts off the logo, if it's not that then it's #2.

#2 would be consistent with your comment that the image looks fine in DNTV live viewer, but cut off in both MP and MCE.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom