TV playback lags on client (1 Viewer)

jfd553

Portal Member
January 2, 2016
Home Country
Canada Canada
Well that's sad because I needed Mediaportal to play TV recordings on different PCs :-(

Recorded TV shows play fine on my server (client + server setup), but watching them on another computer (client only setup) is not an option because there is too much lag.

I can watch HD movies over wifi with no problem on both computers. I'm on wifi 6, my server and client are both showing 5 GHz connections.

Any idea on how to solve the problem?

Attachments

• 335382_MediaPortal2-Logs-2023-02-04-14.07.48.zip
    208.9 KB

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The problems comes from our "remote resource bridge", which allows to access files (recordings) on a remote server.

You can bypass this by using UNC (network path). Setup a share on the server (like \\server\recordings), set "everybody" (or selected users) with writing access, and configure it as recording folder for all tuners (see screenshot).
    mp2_unc_recording.png

Then in MP2-Client delete the auto-created recording media source (settings, media sources). The new selected network share will be automatically added here after MP2-Server restarted once.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @jfd553 can you help me with some checks in your environment? I have prepared three different builds for our cached streaming access

The attached files need to be placed into folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Client (client PC!)

1. MediaPortal.Common.[256kb_r2_c10](default).7z --> Default configuration. 256kb chunk size, 2 read-ahead streams, 10 cached segments
    2. MediaPortal.Common.[512kb_r1_c5] --> TEST: 512kb chunk size, 1 read-ahead, 5 cached
    3. MediaPortal.Common.[1024kb_r1_c2] --> TEST: 1024kb chunk size, 1 read-ahead, 2 cached

Please try build 1, 2, 3 after each other and compare the playback quality on client. I would expect the 3rd build to be smoothest, as the requests are loading bigger chunks.

The reason for this approach was the random-access of files and folder structures on remote systems, i.e. if you have a DVD-Rip on harddisk that needs to be played back on client. Then happens a lot of read acccess to different files and positions, that's why we implemented this chunks / cache logic.

If this brings an real improvement, I would add some settings so users can change this behavior.

Attachments

• MediaPortal.Common.[256kb_r2_c10](default).7z
      249.6 KB
    • MediaPortal.Common.[512kb_r1_c5].7z
      249.8 KB
    • MediaPortal.Common.[1024kb_r1_c2].7z
      249.6 KB

jfd553

Portal Member
    January 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Yep, I should be able to test that over the following week.
    But I understand that I should first bypass the "remote resource bridge" by using UNC right?

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    No, for testing keep everything as it is, just exchange dlls.

The UNC approach is completely different, which you can still try after the others might not be well.

jfd553

Portal Member
    January 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Well, I can't do the test yet because when I replace the .dll with each of the new ones, my Client loses his view of the server folders (Recordings, Videos, Series, Movies) :-(

Replace the original one in the MP2-Client folder and I get back the view on the server folders.
    And I did not change the recording folder using UNC (yet).

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Here you find new builds matching for 2.4.1 release!

Attachments

• MediaPortal.Common.[256kb_r2_c10](default).7z
      249.1 KB
    • MediaPortal.Common.[512kb_r1_c5].7z
      249 KB
    • MediaPortal.Common.[1024kb_r1_c2].7z
      249 KB

jfd553

Portal Member
    January 2, 2016
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just tried them and did not see significant improvement :-(
    Thanks for having tried. Let me know if I should go with UNC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom