TV quality - better or worse than "standard" TV? (2 Viewers)

roosterx

Portal Pro
April 24, 2006
Högsäter, Sweden
Home Country
Norway Norway
Marcus: Oh, then im terribly mistaken.. i probably sit on old info then, but out of curiousity, what brand/product :)

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    can't remember the brand and I wont be back home for a week, but I think a lot of them do this.

As has been said before, people tend to have their favourites and usually stick with them.

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Marcus: i just took for granted since my 6800gt didnt come with any cables, but hen i think of it, i guess all cards that support component out, would support rgb/scart out to ordinary CRT too?!

or am i mistaken :)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    i guess all cards that support component out, would support rgb/scart out to ordinary CRT too?
    No :?
    My TV doesn't support component cableing and doesn't show anything when hooked up via component -> scart adapter..

it's easier to get/make an VGA to Scart adapter - leaving you with powerstrip to find out working timings..

davej00

Portal Pro
    March 22, 2006
    UK
    Sorry, but I really have to disagree with this bit. Even if you only have SD quality TV (Either Digital or very good analog reception) you should notice an improvement with component, VGA or DVI.
    I agree (with your diagree :) ) completely!
    Back to the original question though, if you currently have your satelite box going to your PC via S-VHS then getting a HD TV card will not improve anything, since the original signal is still only S-VHS and the HD card won't be doing anything for the AUX inputs.

If I understand correctly, I disagree.

If you use an external (set top)box , you are demultiplexing the signal, processing into video -- then when it gets to your PC you re-sample, and re-process. That will not give you the same result as simply putting a digital tuner into the PC. There you only process once. Ask anyone using DVB-* or ASTC vs Settop box and capture card. For me there is no comparison in the quality.

- Dave

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    davej00 said:
    Back to the original question though, if you currently have your satelite box going to your PC via S-VHS then getting a HD TV card will not improve anything, since the original signal is still only S-VHS and the HD card won't be doing anything for the AUX inputs.

If I understand correctly, I disagree.

If you use an external (set top)box , you are demultiplexing the signal, processing into video -- then when it gets to your PC you re-sample, and re-process. That will not give you the same result as simply putting a digital tuner into the PC. There you only process once. Ask anyone using DVB-* or ASTC vs Settop box and capture card. For me there is no comparison in the quality.

- Dave

Now I know there is some misunderstanding here, because we seem to be either agreeing with each other or talking aobut something completely different.

If you currently have a satellite box going to your PC via S-Video and you are not happy with the picture quality, then feeding the satellite box to your PC via an HDTV card will not improve anything. If you actually plan on receiving the HDTV satellite signals via the HDTV card and ditch the external satellite box all together, then the picture should improve dramatically. Am I on the right track now?

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Marcusb said:
    Sorry, but I really have to disagree with this bit. Even if you only have SD quality TV (Either Digital or very good analog reception) you should notice an improvement with component, VGA or DVI.

It's OK to disagree. I've never been one to deny being corrected. :D
    Disagreements allow for deeper thought as well.

SDTV is defined with the NTSC or PAL standards, so where are you getting digital from? If you have something like digital cable, and an SDTV, at the point where the picture actually comes into your TV, it will be an analog signal.

a proper s-video cable supports the bandwidth to provide a full 480i or 576i signal - which is what the NTSC and PAL standards are defined at.

So using a component connector isn't going to give you a higher resolution or sharper picture.

This only leaves one other aspect of "good picture" - colour, contrast and brightness. these aspects of picture control can be modified by either the source or destination equipment, and most videocards provide more video tuning options than a regular SDTV would - Nvidia's 'Digital Vibrance' comes to mind here as an example, not to mention the extensive post-processing that can be done via the HTPC.

If you use component, VGA or DVI to connect to a SDTV, then you're going to have to go through another signal conversion either through an external device, or using the TV's internal decoder. Either way, you are down-sampling the signal. The difference in quality between s-video and component and almost non-existant compared to the difference between composite and s-video.

Even if there was any perceved difference visible between s-video and component signal, it can easily be corrected at the source, or the destination.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    ATI vs NVIDIA

Unfortunately both company's have to finish there drivers to fully support there respective cards, but ATI have more promises to fulfill than Nvidia.
    At the last reading of ATI press release's they do need to solve some major driver issues with there range of cards, Whilst Nvidia have implemented there Purevideo technology quite well into there driver, (Pain really because you have to buy the purevideo decoder seperately, but it does work).
    The argument continues. :wink:

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    somewhere in the bowels of Texas
    gxtracker said:
    SDTV is defined with the NTSC or PAL standards, so where are you getting digital from? If you have something like digital cable, and an SDTV, at the point where the picture actually comes into your TV, it will be an analog signal.

I have digital satellite connected to a PVR-150 by s-video and then out through my Nvidia 6600/PureVideo to my HDTV via DVI.

My original question was... if I replace my analog tuner card with a digital tuner card will I see any benefit? Because right now my pq is worse than just going straight to the HDTV.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    Hi chili,
    Depends on how you want to go about it.

If you currently have a satellite box going to your PC via S-Video and you are not happy with the picture quality, then feeding the satellite box to your PC via an HDTV card will not improve anything. If you actually plan on receiving the HDTV satellite signals via the HDTV card and ditch the external satellite box all together, then the picture should improve dramatically. Am I on the right track now?

If you still want to use the satellite box, then you should try to work out where the picture is being degraded.
    If you plug the S-Video straight into your tv, is the picture still bad?
    If so, the the cable could be at fault.
    If you watch the tv on your computer screen is the picture bad? If so, then the problem is probably with your pvr 150. Like I said, an HDTV card will not mean better Aux input quality. I have a compro HDTV card and the Aux in is awful, because it's a software card.

I think you need to find out from others who use the Aux in on their pvr 150's to see if they are all bad, or could yours have a bad connection or something.

gxtracker I never implied for SDTV that the difference with better cables would be enormous, I actually even said
    Maybe the difference is not worth spending a fortune on a new TV, but if your existing TV has the ability to use a high quality conenction, then use it. You'll also notice a world of difference with the MP screens, movies and DVD's.

You should always use the best cables you have access to. There will be no loss of quality with Component, DVI or VGA due to downsampling. at somewhere along the line the digital signal has to be converted to a PAL or NTSC. You'll get better results (in the case of DVI) if this happens right inside the TV because 1) there is less chance of interference and 2) most gfx cards focus more on game speed than TV output whereas a TV will usually have better circuitry for this (if it was expensive enough to have DVI inputs).
    The same goes for VGA and Component, apart from the digital bit of course. You should be trying to get the signal to your TV in the best way possible and the bit I was disagreeing with you on was where you said that S-video wuld give better quality that better systems when using SDTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom