TV quality - better or worse than "standard" TV? (3 Viewers)

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
Thanks for the replies Marcusb.

If you plug the S-Video straight into your tv, is the picture still bad?

No, but I have a different cable that I use when I connect straight to the tv... maybe I should try that cable with the card just to eliminate that possibility.

If you watch the tv on your computer screen is the picture bad?

I don't know, I haven't hooked a monitor up since I got the pvr-150. I only use the hdtv.

By aux, do you mean s-video? I have tried composite too and it looks worse than s-video connection.

Is it possible to bypass the receiver and hook the sat. coax straight to the card??

davej00

Portal Pro
March 22, 2006
UK
If you currently have a satellite box going to your PC via S-Video and you are not happy with the picture quality, then feeding the satellite box to your PC via an HDTV card will not improve anything.
Agreed.
If you actually plan on receiving the HDTV satellite signals via the HDTV card and ditch the external satellite box all together, then the picture should improve dramatically. Am I on the right track now?
Agreed. And I believe that answers Chili's question.

- Dave

Topher5000

Portal Pro
April 5, 2006
Chili, I've got the same setup as you. I used ffdshow & avisynth for post processing & along with Hauppauge Tweaker, I got a better picture than running straight s-video to my HD projector. My stb has component out but only does 480i, but the PQ was way better using s-video into my PVR-150MCE & hdmi to my pj.
Unfortunately, I must have messed something up because I couldn't get sound if timeshift was enabled, so I'm starting over, but man, that was a sweet picture.
How would your stb connect to a digital tuner card? What card are you thinking of?

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
Topher5000 said:
Chili, I've got the same setup as you. I used ffdshow & avisynth for post processing & along with Hauppauge Tweaker, I got a better picture than running straight s-video to my HD projector. My stb has component out but only does 480i, but the PQ was way better using s-video into my PVR-150MCE & hdmi to my pj.
Unfortunately, I must have messed something up because I couldn't get sound if timeshift was enabled, so I'm starting over, but man, that was a sweet picture.
How would your stb connect to a digital tuner card? What card are you thinking of?

Thanks for the reply.
I wouldn't mind having your ffdshow/tweaker settings and what version of the Hauppauge drivers you were using... if you kept up with it :D

Just wondering if the hardware made a difference.
Maybe something like this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815100134

Also, I don't know if it's an MP thing or not but when I watch tv, I get audio static that fades in and out if my receiver is set to stereo, but when I switch to 6 channel analog it goes away?

I don't know... I have never had to work so hard before to get a piece of hardware to perform the way I think it should.

gxtracker

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 25, 2005
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Ok Markusb, I understand your point now. :) Of course, I agree completely: if you have a TV with higher quality connectors, then of course use them. For those with S-video being the best they can use, don't feel like you're losing out on something by not having component or DVI. you can still achieve a good picture.

You must have a nice TV though - I've never seen an SDTV with DVI connections. :D

chili said:
    My original question was... if I replace my analog tuner card with a digital tuner card will I see any benefit? Because right now my pq is worse than just going straight to the HDTV.

Since you live in North America, the only DIGITAL tuner cards we have are ASTC tuners - meaning HDTV.

So technically, YES - you will have better picture quality - but the answer isn't that simple.

but what exactly is wrong with your picture qualty? is it fuzzy? colours incorect? noise? Try the troubleshooting Marcusb suggested and you should be able to narrow down the source of the problem.

BTW: Marcusb, what do you mean by AUX input? Auxiliary? I've never heard that term used before when describing TV connectors.

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    BTW: Marcusb, what do you mean by AUX input? Auxiliary? I've never heard that term used before when describing TV connectors

That's really weird. In Australia it's kind of a normal term. It may be an older one though. I seem to remember in the days of only one A/V input the on screen displays would actually say "AUX" when turned to them.

For the TV, It's an SDTV plasma. Since it's digital all the way the DVI is the best alternative. Plus it automatically adjusts the settings for DVi. My friend with only VGA has to play with a lot of settings constantly to get it right (resolution,refresh rate). Plus, if he sets the refresh rate too high (over 60) the screen stops working and he has to lug a PC monitor down to change it.

chili

Portal Pro
    September 20, 2004
    gxtracker said:
    but what exactly is wrong with your picture qualty? is it fuzzy? colours incorect? noise? Try the troubleshooting Marcusb suggested and you should be able to narrow down the source of the problem.

Did that. It's narrowed to the card. The image looks like it has too much compression going on... "squiggles" but I have the vbr set to 9000-12000.

Yea, we have inputs called aux - but it usually means just an extra connection past the named ones in case you need it.

roosterx

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2006
    Högsäter, Sweden
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Marcusb: can you please link me to your gfx card, i've tried to look around for cards that support rgb-out without the need for my ati card/vga2rgb cable/powerstrip - but don't seem to find any, not even in the reviews i've been looking at.

TIA :)

Judaz

Portal Member
    October 16, 2005
    Trondheim
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    roosterx said:
    Marcusb: can you please link me to your gfx card, i've tried to look around for cards that support rgb-out without the need for my ati card/vga2rgb cable/powerstrip - but don't seem to find any, not even in the reviews i've been looking at.

TIA :)

The Ati Radeon 2 Scart RGB cable really isn't that much hassle and you will be rewarded with superior picture quality once you get it working. I have X1300 connected to my CRT using a home-made VGA 2 Scart cable (look here: http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html). The cable took me about an hour to solder and powerstrip settings etc. also took about an hour the first time. You can also buy this cable from AV-Connection in denmark.

You will need an ATi Radeon for this cable to work. Picture quality also improved when i upgraded from my old 9550 to a X1300. I would really recommend using those extra 20$ to get the X1300

- Judaz

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    my card doesn't seem to be available any more, but for any GF 6600 or above card, just check the included accessories. If it lists a componant or HDTV connector then you should have no problems. I haven't ever used mine, since my TV isn't that advanced and downstairs has a DVI plasma but I know others use it with no issues.

Mine plus into the non standard tv output and gives the usual RCA, S-VHS and also the component leads. The good thing is since it's the same signal source, all three outputs work at the same time if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom