TV recording and streaming | Page 3

Discussion in '1.0 final and SVN Builds' started by Dmitry_f, January 12, 2009.

1. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

infinite.loop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    thats quite easy.

install the last MediaPortal release where you know that it worked.
    if you do, and it is still not working, then you have a problem "in your setup". :)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hardcorehire

hardcorehire Portal Pro

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I will try and delete the hybrid cards again. I did this once before, but the problem remained until I deleted the MYTV database in SQL Server and reinstalled MP TV server. Will see what happens. Thanks so much for the help Chris!!!

4. markius

markius Portal Pro

IT
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Uhm... How can this be a problem "in my setup" if you say that this feature is a function of the TV Server and not constrained by the OS? Of course, I'm being flippant ;)

I think this boils down to 2 things:
    1. This is still a bug in the code.
    TV Server isn't detecting that there is a problem with multi-tune and is repeatedly hitting the same card over and over again. The end result is failed recordings. A more elegant solution would be to give up on the 3rd attempt and try one of the other tuners that are capable of recording the show.

2. Why does DVB multi-tune fail on mine and Dmitry's system?
    How can we troubleshoot this? I've already tried a fresh install of the TV Server and the problem persists. Yes, a fresh installation of Windows *might* fix this but then we'd never get to the root of the problem. Given that that I'm not the only person with the issue I think it would definately be worth investigating given that the end result could well be a more stable & reliable TV Server.

Mark

5. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    you mix things up.
    it makes no difference if you use WinXP or Vista. in both multitune is WORKING.

but i do not know if you 2 "fuckeup" your OS'ed somehow (very strange things can happen if your OS is messed up).
    that would explain why only you 2 have this issue, and at least as far as we know, noone else.

there also is a very slight chance that it is related to some driver/hardware/provider related issue.
    but my crystal ball does not tell me what it is.

so, why dont you simply start testing the last working MediaPortal versions on your system, and try to narrow down when this issue started to occur? ;)

6. markius

markius Portal Pro

IT
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Hi again Chris
    So you chose to seize upon the facetious remark and mostly ignored the rest of my message. I guess I walked into that one. ;)

Firstly yes - it's possible that my OS is "fuckeup" (or perhaps, more acceptably "broken") somehow. What I'm trying to get across is that I'd like to understand how so. Certainly it's not deliberate.

So far as I am aware, multi-tune has never worked on this installation of Windows. Some background may be useful:
    * It's a relatively new install of Vista Ultimate SP1 licensed via Technet.
    * It's had the Vista 2008 TV Pack (codename Fiji) installed, tried out and then disabled by policy. Microsoft have made no provision to uninstall TV Pack 2008.
    * Previously I was running 1.0 on XP SP3 (same hardware) and I *think* multi-tune was working. I no longer have the logs available to be 100% certain but I don't recall experiencing the problems with back2back and OTR recordings that I have now.
    * Other users with the same DVB card as me don't have the same problem
    * I've tried another DVB-T card from a different vendor - same failure
    * I've tried a completely fresh installation of TV Server (including full cleanup of the old Database, Program Files, AppData & Registry entries) with almost no configuration changes except to scan for channels - same failure

Finally, I'm not asking you to stare into your crystal ball and tell me which Windows component is causing the problem - I know as well as you do that's not possible. I'm trying help resolve an issue that affects multiple users by following a fault tree and to do that I'm asking for your help to tell me where I should look next.

I hope this clears things up. I feel like we started to get to opposite ends of the rope, Chris.

Mark

Dmitry - Do you have the Vista TV Pack 2008 installed?

7. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    markius
    if multitune never worked on this system, then i sadly do not even have any idea about how to start to find the cause for this.

besides trying a different tv card (which you allready did), uninstall every installed software/codec, or the reinstallation of the os.

8. markius

markius Portal Pro

IT
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Home Country:
    England England
    Although I'm not ruling a reinstall out, I'd rather not do it just yet... as well as being a tedious process, if I do reinstall we'll never find out what the real cause was. Besides, if I re-install from scratch I'm only going to repeat the steps that brought me here in the first place.

I'd like to ask you/the group a couple more questions before I leave you all in peace...

Are you able to tell me what is happening inside the TV Server when a multi-tune request takes place? Specifically the bit after the TV Server has decided to use a card that is already tuned to the correct tsp.
    * Which non-hardware specific and non-MediaPortal DirectShow components/filters are being used?
    * Which C# class deals with multi-tune?

Also, is there a version of GraphEdit that works with Vista? There used to be a nice jpeg that got included with the log bundle from the MP Test Tool but this doesn't seem to get created any more.

Cheers
    Mark

9. hardcorehire

hardcorehire Portal Pro

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +45 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I deleted the MYTV DB and reinstalled tv server and did NOT setup the hybrid card and now it works just fine. Cause that was my fault I thought I had read that people were setting up the 2200 as hybrid. Oh, well works now.

THANKS CHRIS!!!!

10. infinite.loop
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +4,154 / 7
    Home Country:
    Austria Austria
    Show System Specs
    Graphedit is not the problem. Vista is. No joke!

But for your issue this will not help you at all.
    because you can not connect to a graph created by an windows service.

btw. if you do a re-install. just use Acronis TrueImage and create images of your clean installation at various steps.
    so you can go back to a working state in a matter of minutes. ;)

regarding your other questions, i will try to get an develope in here.

11. Dmitry_f

Dmitry_f Portal Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Home Country:
    Finland Finland
    No, as you can see in log, there are FTA channels only.

Yes, I installed it because I use MCE as backup solution.

* Today my second DVB-S card arrived, but I still didn't fix problem with one card((((

I installed last SVN and still have same problem. I tried to install on top of previous installation and I did it from scratch (after full deinstallation MP and TV-server) the result is same for both installation.
    Sometime I can watch and record simultaneously but it is only after restart of MP and only once, what is interesting that it doesn't require TV-server restart and this is looks non-logical, because in my view problem should be located in TV-server.

I don't think that problem can be related to drivers, because in my case it is a matter to generate two streams from one channel only when one stream already exist.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!