TV Recording Schedule (1 Viewer)

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
January 9, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
The setting up of scheduled recordings seems to be the weakest part of MP2 - in fact I'd go as far as to say one aspect of it is a bug.
The scheduled recordings list in TV Configuration allows you to delete a schedule, but not to edit one or create a new one which seems a strange omission. To do this you have to edit an xml file which seems to me to be unnecessarily tedious.
The real problem is that the date and time settings in the schedule take precedence over the title. This has two unfortunate consequences: if you schedule a series recording for a particular time, recording will start at that time whether or not the programme being transmitted at that time is the one you want. The other problem is that you can't schedule two series (with different titles) to be recorded on the same channel at the same time (on different days or during different weeks of course). I have been recording 'Shakespeare & Hathaway - ...' at 2.15pm every working day at this time (originally I'd set it to 'every day at this time' but of course that meant that some random programme was recorded at the weekends). When that series finished they started broadcasting an old series of the show at 2.15 each weekday but with the title 'Shakespeare & Hathaway: Private...' which of course wasn't shown on the MP2 client scheduled recording list (although it quite likely would have been recorded because of the problem referred to above). I tried to schedule it from the guide, but it wouldn't accept it. I added it to the TV Configuration schedule (via the xml file) but still it wouldn't show up on the client's list of scheduled recordings. The only way I could get it to was to delete the schedule for the original title.
There seems to be a work-round: set the schedule to record the program 'at any time'. This is non-intuitive and risks recording each episode more than once if each episode is broadcast at different times.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    which of course wasn't shown on the MP2 client scheduled recording list
    I have precisely the same scenario (although with two different series on the "Horror" channel :eek:). In MP1:
    • The "Recording Schedule" panel shows the episodes with the current programme title.
    • The "Series Recording Schedule" panel show the series with the previous programme title.
    This is using the "Weekdays at this time" scheduling setting. In the EPG, the episode is highlighted with the colour/symbol indicating that it is scheduled to record, and the recording file resulting has the current programme title, not the previous programme title.

Since MP1 and MP2 use the same "TV Server" code (although packaged differently), I would expect MP2 to have the same set of panels as MP1, and show the same information (more or less).

There are eight different scheduling options, three of which are fixed by the programme title:
    • Every time on this channel
    • Every time on every channel
    • Weekly on this day
    with the remaining five being fixed by the start and end times:
    • Once
    • Weekly at this time
    • Daily at this time
    • Weekdays at this time
    • Weekends at this time

Of course, the scheduling could be made much more versatile, for example by adding keyword scheduling, or by adding a "time window" for the start time (so that "at this time" could be any start time within that time window). Various of the other limitations and inconsistencies could also be fixed. All it requires is someone to volunteer to implement this. Any offers?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

TVWatcher

Portal Pro
    January 9, 2020
    Home Country
    I have precisely the same scenario (although with two different series on the "Horror" channel :eek:). In MP1:
    • The "Recording Schedule" panel shows the episodes with the current programme title.
    • The "Series Recording Schedule" panel show the series with the previous programme title.
    This is using the "Weekdays at this time" scheduling setting. In the EPG, the episode is highlighted with the colour/symbol indicating that it is scheduled to record, and the recording file resulting has the current programme title, not the previous programme title.
    That 's what I see.
    Any offers?
    I've retired from software development in favour of getting a 1910 gaff cutter back sailing, and as that development was in DataFlex I doubt that it's relevant to MP development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom