TV scheduler is not idiot-proof (1 Viewer)

mlipman

Portal Member
January 11, 2005
I like option 2.

Maybe the keys should be definable in the config screen, then (almost) everyone could be happy.

:D

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
December 18, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
apologies to jdiffend

I apologise for any implication that your folks are idiots that was by no way my intention. It is a figure of speech that you yourself used when you posted a topic called 'TV scheduler is not idiot-proof' sorry to pick you up on this, but you said it not me. regardless I apologise for any offence caused I am sure you parents are lovely.

skulls

Portal Member
January 17, 2005
Barcelona
back to the point

Wow, it seems that my original post has caused quite a stir! :shock:

Some interesting points have been raised which I would like to comment:

- first of all, this is not whining but giving opinions on free, open-source software and that's the beauty of it. If this was some big corporation you could be almost sure that your complaints will hardly have any effect. But as this is open-source on a smaller scale, we can speak directly to the developers and get instant feedback (just don't take it personally :wink: we all want to improve MP not bash it). That being said, it is a lot more easy just to complain about things than giving actual solutions/suggestions to the problems; I agree that the people who complain should also take the time to give their opinion on how to actually solve it (myself included! :oops: )

- MP, as it looks like right now, is a very accessible front-end; I am really looking forward to the next releases! The user-friendly aspect of it can be improved at some points but it is already impressive. Making it more user-friendly doesn't mean making it simpler or more complicated, to me it means more usable and practical, and we all want that right?

- In that sense, and that's the original point for this post, the TV scheduling is not very intuitive and furthermore not very practical when used with a remote. That's just my opinion, I don't want the developer of that portion to get mad at me.

Peace!

vbgeezer

Portal Pro
December 18, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
and your suggestions is

just to quote you skulls

That being said, it is a lot more easy just to complain about things than giving actual solutions/suggestions to the problems; I agree that the people who complain should also take the time to give their opinion on how to actually solve it (myself included! )

so what is your actual suggestion then?

skulls

Portal Member
January 17, 2005
Barcelona
Yes, I do realize the irony of me complaining about the scheduler and not giving a suggestion, the reason being that I want to give a more complete and tangible suggestion instead of just giving general ideas.

It takes time and I want to take a long and calm look at it, not just typing whatever comes first to my mind.

Besides, short of suggestions I still gave a small view (i.e. separate screen instead of a window for actual scheduling). I will have to further elaborate on that I guess...

MungoBBQ

Portal Member
January 21, 2005
Without stepping on any sore toes, I have to agree somewhat with jdiffend. I too think that most of the currently visible menu options could be hidden per default and accessible through context menus. When navigating through folders of video files it can be quote confusing with the menu getting in the way, not to mention that hiding it would give a lot more precious screen space to the actual file browser list!

Also, maybe we could make fontsize a global configuration setting that overrides the fontsizes set in the skins? I mean, depending on your resolution and TV size a font could need to be increased or decreased in size.

BTW; I _LOVE_ MP and use it for watching shows all the time. We don't even watch live TV anymore! I'm really grateful that it exists and when you guys decide to set up a paypal account or any other means of accepting donations, I'll be first in line!

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
Re: back to the point

skulls said:
Wow, it seems that my original post has caused quite a stir! :shock:

Not really, people are just reading emotion into my posts that aren't there.

BTW Frodo, on other program guides if you want to record something on Friday and it's only wednesday you simply use the right arrow to scroll to the right on the guide. On Dish Network you can type a number, then hit the right or left arrow and it will go that many hours in that direction. Just hit the arrow key before it times out and thinks you entered a channel number.

I'm not suggesting removing any features from the program. Just suggesting you hit a menu button to access them. Nothing more.

As for the fonts... just how many of the people I'm talking about can create their own skin or want to? I do enough with computers durring the day and I really don't want to create my own skins in my spare time. I'm already working on something anyway.

jdiffend

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
MungoBBQ said:
Also, maybe we could make fontsize a global configuration setting that overrides the fontsizes set in the skins? I mean, depending on your resolution and TV size a font could need to be increased or decreased in size.

Which is what I kinda was thinking.

Rybber

Portal Pro
October 26, 2004
Denmark
MrMario64 said:
skulls, so what about my 3 ideas?

I'll add to this: I can see why some would want enter to show channel in fullscreen, so what about making the three choices a setting in config.exe ?

(I know this is a simplicity thread :) but we are all pioneers using HTPC's - it's not for grannies just yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom