TV Series / Episode Info In Australia (1 Viewer)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
I am using the FTA guide info in Australia and it doesn't show any data regarding the series / episode numbers.

I have setup TV Wishlist to do my recordings but have not set the series / episode data because I couldn't see the point as the FTA guide doesn't have it?

Is it there and I just can't display it or do I need to install another plugin?

What happens in other countries with your FTA guides?

Thanks

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Is it there and I just can't display it or do I need to install another plugin?
    What happens in other countries with your FTA guides?
    I use the DVB-T EPG in the UK. A smattering of programmes have series and episode numbers, but in the form of unstructured text contained within the programme description. This is useless for TV Server to use to select programmes to record. (This probably applies to TV Wishlist too, but I have never used that plugin.)

In the UK, the DVB-T/S EPGs contain binary series and episode ids on the major channels, but not necessarily on the minor channels. "Binary" means that these ids are not human readable, but they are unique and can be used to select programmes to record. My Humax DVR can do this. Unfortunately, TV Server cannot do this (and there is no MP plugin that can do it either). I don't know whether the Australian broadcast EPG contains these ids.

An alternative source for EPG info is the internet in the form of an XML EPG. There are XML tags that define series and episode numbers in human-readable form, but there are several different conventions for these tags. I believe that TV Server can use these tags (if they are in the correct form) to avoid recording episodes that have already been recorded (see this page in the Wiki). So, if you can find a source for an XML EPG that contains these tags, that might do what you want.

The usual recommendation for an XML EPG is "Schedules Direct", and I think that their EPG does contain the series and episode tags, but I have a recollection that Schedules Direct do not provide an EPG for Australia (and it is of course a paid-for service).

There is a tool called "EpgCollector" that reads the broadcast EPG and writes an XML file containing the EPG. It is possible that this XML file contains the binary series and episode ids (probably in the form of hexadecimal strings). Could those ids be used by TV Server in some way? Probably not, but you could at least detemine if the Australian EPG contains series and episode ids.

In the UK, some broadcasters prefix the title of a new episode with the string "New: ". Since TV Server matches on title, this excludes episodes from previous series, but broadcasters do not do this consistently. Ultimately, you need to review daily or weekly the programmes that TV Server or TV Wishlist has scheduled to record, and cancel those episodes that are repeats of episodes or series that you have already recorded or watched. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks Cybersimian it does not surprise me you replied as it seems you are very active in looking at the forum. I really appreciate your input and very detailed answer.

It seems from your reply it is not very straightforward to do what I want.

I think at this stage I will go with my brute force method and just record every program I need and delete what is an old one. Cumbersome and memory reliant but it works ok.

As far as TVWishlist is concerned I absolutely love it and will be very sad to see it become incompatible if that happens with any future MP releases. It is so versatile in being able to set recording parameters that it weeds out many programs that it would otherwise record based on the title (using the inbuilt recording setup in MP) but I know would be a repeat based on the time it is shown. Also it records programs that would be missed based on the title (using the inbuilt recording setup in MP) such as when "???" gets changed to "???.Encore".

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    Just to comment that I am also a very keen TVWishlist user who used the Schedules service. I have checked and they do offer a service for Australia. For about £25 p.a. (here in the UK) I find it well worth the price

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Just to comment that I am also a very keen TVWishlist user who used the Schedules service. I have checked and they do offer a service for Australia. For about £25 p.a. (here in the UK) I find it well worth the price
    Ok thanks for that I will follow that up (y)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    Does the "Schedules Direct" EPG contain the series and episode numbers in a structured form (i.e. not embedded in the programme description)?

If it does, can TV Server and TV Wishlist use those series and episode numbers to select programmes to record?

Finally, does the "Schedules Direct" EPG contain a "repeat" flag, and can TV Server/TV Wishlist use it to avoid recording repeats? Thank you. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    If you do decide to go down this route you need to be aware that there are "quirks" in the way that Series/episode numbers are presented in the Schedules Direct xml file that you will get.

You might want to read some of the posts in this thread from some years ago.

You should also read the very detailed guide in the Wiki - particularly the bit about mapping the guide data to channels.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian
    Sorry, only just noticed your post on this.

Broadly, the answers are all yes - provided one follows the guidance that is available.

I have been using TVWishlist for years now = repeats are always ignored, new episodes recorded and the ability to add a Title to the schedule long before it actually appears in the broadcast schedule is something have found particularly useful over the years.

It's very important to read the detailed instructions on how TTVWishlist works and how to set it up as you want. It has lots of options for selection/rejection.

wjw

Portal Pro
    July 13, 2008
    Home Country
    @CyberSimian

Just thought you might be interested is seeing one of the entries form yesterday's download from Schedules Direct. This is after processing to resolve the "problem" with Series/Episodes numbers that I referred to above.

<programme start="20220124143000 +0000" stop="20220124150000 +0000" channel="I122.25117.schedulesdirect.org">
    <title lang="en">The Big Bang Theory</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">The Misinterpretation Agitation</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">The guys try to help Penny out of an awkward professional situation when a smitten doctor turns up at her door after her flirtatious sales techniques on behalf of the pharmaceutical company work a little too well.</desc>
    <credits>
    <director>Mark Cendrowski</director>
    <actor>Johnny Galecki</actor>
    <actor>Jim Parsons</actor>
    <actor>Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting</actor>
    <actor>Simon Helberg</actor>
    <actor>Kunal Nayyar</actor>
    <actor>Mayim Bialik</actor>
    <actor>Melissa Rauch</actor>
    <writer>Chuck Lorre</writer>
    <writer>Eric Kaplan</writer>
    <writer>Jim Reynolds</writer>
    <writer>Steven Molaro</writer>
    <writer>Steve Holland</writer>
    <writer>Maria Ferrari</writer>
    <producer>Chuck Lorre</producer>
    <producer>Bill Prady</producer>
    <producer>Steven Molaro</producer>
    <guest>Billy Bob Thornton</guest>
    </credits>
    <date>20141030</date>
    <category lang="en">Sitcom</category>
    <length units="seconds">1200</length>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP01270873.0169</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">7.6.</episode-num>
    <audio>
    <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <previously-shown start="20141030000000" />
    <rating system="?????????">
    <value>15</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Australian Classification Board">
    <value>M 15+</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Canadian Parental Rating">
    <value>14+</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação">
    <value>12</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft">
    <value>12</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Mediakasvatus- ja kuvaohjelmayksikkö">
    <value>S</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Régie du cinéma">
    <value>13+</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="USA Parental Rating">
    <value>TV14</value>
    </rating>
    </programme>
    <programme start="20220124150000 +0000" stop="20220124153000 +0000" channel="I122.25117.schedulesdirect.org">
    <title lang="en">The Goldbergs</title>
    <sub-title lang="en">It's All About Comptrol</sub-title>
    <desc lang="en">Geoff and Erica realise they are in different places in college; Beverly tries to find a new purpose in her life as she seeks political office as the city comptroller.</desc>
    <credits>
    <director>Lew Schneider</director>
    <actor>Wendi McLendon-Covey</actor>
    <actor>Sean Giambrone</actor>
    <actor>Troy Gentile</actor>
    <actor>Hayley Orrantia</actor>
    <actor>Sam Lerner</actor>
    <actor>George Segal</actor>
    <actor>Jeff Garlin</actor>
    <writer>Mike Sikowitz</writer>
    <producer>Adam F. Goldberg</producer>
    <producer>Doug Robinson</producer>
    <producer>Alex Barnow</producer>
    <producer>Chris Bishop</producer>
    <producer>Annette Davis</producer>
    <producer>Mike Sikowitz</producer>
    <producer>Bill Callahan</producer>
    <producer>David Guarascio</producer>
    <producer>Annie Mebane</producer>
    <presenter>Patton Oswalt</presenter>
    <guest>Jennifer Irwin</guest>
    <guest>Stephanie Courtney</guest>
    <guest>Mindy Sterling</guest>
    <guest>Troy Winbush</guest>
    <guest>Carrie Wampler</guest>
    <guest>Adhir Kalyan</guest>
    <guest>Najee Muhammad</guest>
    </credits>
    <date>20201028</date>
    <category lang="en">Sitcom</category>
    <episode-num system="dd_progid">EP02164987.0169</episode-num>
    <episode-num system="xmltv_ns">7.2.</episode-num>
    <audio>
    <stereo>stereo</stereo>
    </audio>
    <previously-shown start="20201028000000" />
    <rating system="Australian Classification Board">
    <value>PG</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Canadian Parental Rating">
    <value>PG</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Departamento de Justiça, Classificação, Títulos e Qualificação">
    <value>14</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft">
    <value>6</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="Mediakasvatus- ja kuvaohjelmayksikkö">
    <value>K7</value>
    </rating>
    <rating system="USA Parental Rating">
    <value>TVPG</value>
    </rating>

Users who are viewing this thread