1.12.0 TV Server Config -- Default Country In Error By One (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We have just had another "retune event" in the UK (DVB-T), and I was this morning retuning MP. During this, I noticed that the default country suggested by MP was in error by one. This is the panel where the error occurs:

http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/4_Scan_DVB-T

On my system (MP 1.12), MP suggests Thailand as the country. o_O If MP were making no attempt to identify the correct country, I would expect it to default to the first country in the list. Instead, MP defaults to the country immediately preceding my country in the list. This suggests that there is some confusion between a zero-based index and a one-based index in the code that chooses the default value to display. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    During this, I noticed that the default country suggested by MP was in error by one.
    TV Server does not select a default country.

What's probably happened is that tuning details for a new country have been added. Since TV Server stores the country by index, a new country being added will "generate" the off-by-one situation you've described. TVE 3.5 attempts to fix this by storing the preferred country by name.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Since TV Server stores the country by index, a new country being added will "generate" the off-by-one situation you've described.
    Interesting. I had expected that TV Server Config would select the default country based on the Windows country setting.

I have eight tuners, and I rescanned each of them individually (the intent being to check that each one was still working). Although the first time entering that panel showed "Thailand", I would have expected TV Server Config to remember the selection that I made, and show that selection to me on the second and subsequent entries to that panel; instead I had to select "UK" each time before starting the scan.

Does TV Server store the country separately for each tuner? I guess that there would be some sense in that, for users near borders who can receive broadcasts from different countries (different tuners connected to different aerials pointing in different directions).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Interesting. I had expected that TV Server Config would select the default country based on the Windows country setting.
    Yes, that would have been the sensible thing to do... but unfortunately TV Server currently doesn't always do the sensible thing. TVE 3.5 does use the Windows country to select a default.

Does TV Server store the country separately for each tuner?
    Yes.

I guess that there would be some sense in that, for users near borders who can receive broadcasts from different countries (different tuners connected to different aerials pointing in different directions).
    I'd imagine these people would be in the extreme minority. IMHO convenience of the majority should trump such considerations, and it's for that reason that TVE 3.5 is switching to one setting for all tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom