TV Server Configuration Fails To Start - get_Cards() error (1 Viewer)

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
March 27, 2009
Home Country
Hi

I installed MediaPortal and afterwards I realised I had to change my computer name as it was made the same name as my other computer on the network. When I tried to open the TV server configuration, the message came up as explained at http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration_Fails_To_Start_-_get_Cards()_error

I made a clean and complete uninstall cleanup and reinstall but still have the problem so I have to work out how to remove the TV Server database and check that all MySQL and SQL Server files have been deleted or alternatively, "Create New TV Server Database" .

The above links says: "It is critical to ensure that the TV Server database is removed before reinstalling. If you do not do this, the same problem will be encountered after reinstalling. To this end, you should check that all MySQL and SQL Server files have been deleted." However, it does not say how to do it. Any info or steps regarding how to do this would be appreciated.

I also tried to "Create New TV Server Database". However, step 4 saying the below did not work and it suggested I had an invalid address.

Modify the target field. Add " /Configure-DB" to the end of the contents. For example, the field should end ...SetupTV.exe" /Configure-DB

The address that existed came up with back slashes and not forward slashes so their may be a miss print in the above. Also, the position of the quotation mark looks like it may be wrong. I changed the forward slash to a back slash and also changed the position of the quotation mark and put it at the end. However, doing these things still came up with an invalid address.

Regards Richard.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Apologies, I had skipped your intial comment taht you did look at this Wiki entry.

So, if you don't mind reinstalling you may simply uninstall MP ann delete the hidden folder Team MediaPortal under C:\ProgramData. Alternativel just rename it, reinstall and once up on stream start adding content from your old directories.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi

Thanks for your suggestion. I meant to also say I use Windows 7. I assume you are saying that I can just uninstall and then delete or rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal

Another message that also came up when installing is "Windows AERO is currently disabled" I am not sure how to enable it if needed. Should it be enabled and if so, how?

Regards Richard.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I assume you are saying that I can just uninstall and then delete or rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal
    Correct.

Should it be enabled and if so, how?
    Aero is required for the graphics hardware acceleration to work and it is normally activated by default on a fresh Windows 7 installation. Take a look at this website for some explanations how to re-enable it.

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Hi
    I renamed rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal and uninstalled and reinstalled Portal but the same problem happened? Are there other folders to be renamed or an alternative way?
    Regards Richard

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I renamed rename the folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal and uninstalled and reinstalled Portal but the same problem happened?
    That sounds strange. After uninstalling and before reinstalling did you leave the renamed folder C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal untouched?

Richard Hole

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Yes, After completely uninstalling MediaPortal, I renamed C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal to C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortalo and then reinstalled. I notice in C:\ProgramData\ and C:\Program Files there is a file named MySQL. Should I rename or move these?

I could try the below again if I knew the correct address. Do you know what it is and is here a misprint at http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...figuration_Fails_To_Start_-_get_Cards()_error regarding this?

When MediaPortal was installed, I also tried to "Create New TV Server Database". However, step 4 saying the below did not work and it suggested I had an invalid address.

Modify the target field. Add " /Configure-DB" to the end of the contents. For example, the field should end ...SetupTV.exe" /Configure-DB

The address that existed came up with back slashes and not forward slashes so their may be a miss print in the above. Also, the position of the quotation mark looks like it may be wrong. I changed the forward slash to a back slash and also changed the position of the quotation mark and put it at the end. However, doing these things still came up with an invalid address.

Regards Richard.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It could be that the database is located elsewhere. The new MP 2.1 has a different structure, but it is. It public yet.

You could try another round but this time also uninstall MySQL and check if the directory is empty or completely gone. Then launch the MP2 installer.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Richard Hole are you talking about MP1 or MP2?
    In MP1 the database is not stored in ProgramData\Team MediaPortal, if you have been unable to update the database using the wiki, the 'nuclear' option would be to select the 'Full MediaPortal product cleanup' option when uninstalling which will drop/delete the TV database.
    Caution: This will remove all MediaPortal products/plugins/settings etc, you either need to backup anything you want to keep or start again from scratch

EDIT:
    Reading your comment above about 'Step 4', did you ensure there was a space between SetupTv.exe and /Configure-DB? There isn't a misprint, it should be a forward slash but you need the space, and the quotation mark needs to be after SetupTv.exe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom