MP2 - V2.1 TV Server Crashing - EPG (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK. This is really really odd.. the random selection of mp3 you highlighted are corrupted.. and I don't mean a little.. they have 0 bytes data!!
    That'll probably do it :), there seem to be loads of corrupted files in your collection, have a look in your logs for the complete list.
    I guess then the importer needs changing so that on a file error it continues next and flags an error rather than the mp service (and the TV server itself) crash..
    For most of the files it does do this, it just logs it and moves on. However at some point it comes across a file that causes the external library (taglib-sharp) to throw a StackOverflowException which is not possible to recover from; they are always fatal. This is obviously a bug in taglib-sharp but there's not much we can do about it from MP2 unfortunately (unless you can track down the file that causes it, but that would be a lot of painstaking work ;)).

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    why does it crash the mp server? i assume there must be error handling in mp server that if the taglib-sharp exits it would not just fall over like it does? at the very least you would expect that mp server handles the exception, restarts the taglib-sharp library and resumes next? i assume that mp server logs the file its attempting to tag before it runs the routine, in which case surely its possible to have a 'bad files' list (holding a filename and a checksum) in the database that it knows to ignore unless the checksum changes (ie the file has been replaced/updated etc)?

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    you say unless you can track down the file that causes it? do you mean the media file? if so is there any order as to how mp server reads the files? if there is and we can see from the logs the previous file it accepted then surely we can work out which one it objected to next in the list?

Brownard

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 21, 2007
    Home Country
    why does it crash the mp server? i assume there must be error handling in mp server that if the taglib-sharp exits it would not just fall over like it does? at the very least you would expect that mp server handles the exception, restarts the taglib-sharp library and resumes next?
    That specific exception cannot be handled (I think because there's no room left on the stack to handle it), hence there is no way to avoid a crash.The library itself is just code that runs inside the MP2 process, it's not something that can be started of stopped.

You're welcome to try and narrow down the offending file, it's likely to be one of the last files in the logs. However the importer processes multiple files in parallel so there is no strict order to it, though broadly it works through the files in file system order.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom