TV server on VMware ESXi 4.1 (2 Viewers)

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
Afaik is esxi 5.1 Not able to pass the onboard USB Ports to the VM. Maybe 5.5 can do it.

seppi2204

Portal Pro
December 8, 2010
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Even with the tvserver VM on an SSD and a 2nd HDD with no VM on my Tvserver reports discontinued Packages and the LiveTV is unwatchable. I cant figure Out why!
Has anyone a DVB-S2 TVServer configuration Running on an VM Host like esxi? What Hardware are you using?

Regards

Dirk
Hi Dirk,
I'm running a passthroughed USB2 stick on an Esxi 5.5 Environment. I've passthroughed the whole USB-Controller to the VM. With this configuration my TV Server works quite well - sometimes there are discontinued packages but you barely recognize them when watching live-tv. Maybe you can give it a try and also passthrough your USB Controller to the VM.

My hardware setup looks as follow:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4570
RAM: 24GB DDRTV Card: Elgato Hybrid Stick (passthroughed to HTPC-VM)
GPU: HD5570 (passthroughed to Desktop-VM)
GPU2: HD7750 (passthroughed to HTPC-VM)

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
seppi2204 Thanks for your Suggestion.
I'm now passing a usb3 Card to the VM and it seems to work fine. When i do something Else on the tvserver VM i instandly get discontinued Packages (e.g. Copy a file from One Folder to a other)

I Wonder if it will work when i have 2 USB Receivers Running and both are streaming!!!

seppi2204

Portal Pro
December 8, 2010
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hmm, seems that something in your machine produces a bottleneck when you get a heavy load on your tv server vm.

My VM is, as you probably recognized, a single seat setup. So besides the TV Server also Mediaportal has to be running and rendered. Also I can't notice a correlation between cpu load and discontinued pacakages. These discontinued packages occure very randomly.

Maybe you can check in DPC Latency Manager what's producing these latencies and nail down this issue.

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
With no extra I/O my DPC Latency Manager is green all to the Time. After copying some files i had yellow and Red ones too.
DPC-Latency.PNG

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
Nope. I can't find the option. @Benoire tried to explain it to me, but i couldn't follow his instructions:

So to add this item (and it is one per device passthrough and it must match the passthrough device number, i.e. 4 devices will yeild a final line of pcipassthru3.msienabled = false) you must edit settings, go to the second tab on the top level and select general. In that area there will be a section called advanced with a table of settings. Add the line there.

I can't find anything on an "2nd Tab" where i could insert a Line in a Table!

Can you please tell me how to set that? I tried to google it but can't find any information!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom