TV server on VMware ESXi 4.1 (1 Viewer)

seppi2204

Portal Pro
December 8, 2010
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
1) Shut down your vm
2) download your vm's vmx file (it's located in your vm directory). [follow these pictures, if you don't know how to download http://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wiki..._zum_Kopieren_von_Dateien_auf_ESX/ESXi_Server]
3) insert a new line into your vmx file: as Benoire already stated
So to add this item (and it is one per device passthrough and it must match the passthrough device number, i.e. 4 devices will yeild a final line of pcipassthru3.msienabled = false)
4) reupload your vmx file to the same location and overwrite the existing vmx file.
5) power on vm.

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
So i added this line:
vmx.PNG

The result:
latency.PNG

and:
latency1.PNG

My System at the moment:
ESXi 5.0
TVServer (1.6.0) on Win7 SP1

Last edited:

seppi2204

Portal Pro
December 8, 2010
Stuttgart
Home Country
Germany Germany
How much RAM did you allocate to the VM? Maybe you could set this to an higher value and reduce some hard page faults - but i'm not sure.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1687

Interrupt latency is probably produced by passthroughing your tv card. If you like you can do here a more deeper analysis on this issue, following the steps provided by vmware http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mi...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1003710

Regards Seppi

deathnite

Portal Member
August 26, 2007
Home Country
So i added this line:
View attachment 144266
The result:
View attachment 144268
and:
View attachment 144269

My System at the moment:
ESXi 5.0
TVServer (1.6.0) on Win7 SP1

Im not sure that really had much to do with it. I am running exi 5.5 using PCI passthrough as mentioned in these forums and results are about the same as what you get.

My specs on my machine are pretty high end and I get the same results using the app you have shown in these screen shots.
My machine is a Dell R610
2 x Xeon 5550, 2.66 8M Cache
24 GB Dual In-line Memory Module, 1066 ECC
2 x 146G SAS 10K Raid 0 for OS
2 x 300G SAS 10K Raid 0 for Timeshift and Recording
1 x 7 TB iSCSI attached storage (Raid 5 WD RED)
Quad Digitalnow DBTV
yada yada

The only other thing I having running is FreeBPX and a crash'n'burn win 7 playpen.

Even with all this grunt I still get poor results using the http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon app.

My only contribution though is the actual physical USB port at least USB2.0? You know they could be a mix and match of 1.1 and 2.0 and 3.0, Check your manual.

Also jump up to ESXi 5.5 U1. Its not going to hurt and there are some documented benefits from 5.0 to 5.5 in regards to USB performance (i cant find it right now)

Cheers

EDIT: Oh ps. my Mediaportal Server VM is set to 4 CPU's and 8 GB Mem. So its not over baked.

Dirk23

Portal Pro
May 28, 2006
Fulda
Home Country
Germany Germany
My TV Server runs as VM now some Time. The only Problem i experience is once a while a Discontinued Package on SD Channels wich is anoying, but on HD Channels i get a Lot of Discontinued Packages and it is sometimed almost unwatchable.
I have a USB 3.0 Card Passed to The VM and at this card i have a Hauppauge USB DVB-S2 Tuner Running.
Anyone an idea what could help me?

Regards

Dirk

AberDino

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 17, 2005
    Kincardineshire
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Hi Dirk,

I've been using a virtualised TV Server successfully for some time now. Like you, I have a USB3 card in passthrough mode, with three tuners connected to this card. I also had issues with discontinued packets, and this turned out to be related to the snapshot functionality. As soon as I disabled snapshots for the TV Server VM, the discontinued packets disappeared, so that's one thing to check. I can confirm that since then I have had no issues with my virtualised TV Server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom