{TV server} PowerScheduler: some questions (1 Viewer)

Dragy

Portal Pro
April 27, 2009
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Okay, could that be the reason why my PC won't wakeup from S3 (for recording or epg grabbing)? Because that's the problem here now... :(

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    No that is not related. Please start a new thread about your issue and post your full logs.

Schedule a recording, let you system go to sleep, wait until the time to wake up has passed (by at least 10 min) then wake up system manually. Collect full logs using MediaPortal Debug Mode and selecting the 3rd option. In you post include the time of important events: when system suspended, when it should have woken up, when you woke it up manually.

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm just thinking of another reason. Before going to S3, I've setup Eventghost to stop the service. I will try out tomorrow if not stopping the service will fix my problem :) thanks

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    The system cannot wake up for scheduled recordings if TVService is stopped prior to suspend. Before suspend TVService will set a timer to the wake up time. Windows will then go to suspend and wake up when the timer elapses. If TVService is stopped before suspend, Windows will cancel all timers set by TVService and as a result no wake up is possible.

Why do you stop TVService before suspend?

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    It improved stability for me. I changed the settings in Eventghost and I planned a recording this night. We'll see if it will record :) I think it will. After that I will test more with this setup (without stopping tvservice).

Actually, this is what happens when I press the shutdown button.
    Stop (live tv)
    Go to homescreen
    Close MP
    Stop TVservice
    Suspend

Worked really great.. But I didn't know that this prevents waking up :)

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    It improved stability for me. I changed the settings in Eventghost and I planned a recording this night. We'll see if it will record :) I think it will. After that I will test more with this setup (without stopping tvservice).

Actually, this is what happens when I press the shutdown button.
    Stop (live tv)
    Go to homescreen
    Close MP
    Stop TVservice
    Suspend

Worked really great.. But I didn't know that this prevents waking up :)

I use the same actions when pressing the shutdown button. For my setup it is the only way to get suspend/waking up working 100%. Otherwise I will always get an uknown error now and then when trying to start LiveTV. But as you now know this breaks waking up for recordings so instead I use a software called PVR Scheduler, then it works even though TVserver is killed before suspend.

I suppose the need for killing TVservice is due to bad hardware/device drivers since most people don't need this. But I has always needed it, both on WinXP and now on Win7.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    I suppose the need for killing TVservice is due to bad hardware/device drivers since most people don't need this. But I has always needed it, both on WinXP and now on Win7.

Have you tried "Reinitialize service on wake up" in PowerScheduler? This option used to have a bug that would cause other issues after resume, but has now been fixed in RC3.

Also note that if you want to use a button to suspend the system (instead of just leaving it to suspend on its own) you should map that button to MP's own "suspend" action, so that the suspend is still handled by PowerScheduler, otherwise you are guaranteed to have issues.

On a side note:
    For me WinXP was a disaster. The system would occasionally hang on resume (not MP, the whole system). In fact when I used hibernation, if after a failed resume I removed the power from PC and tried to resume again, it would succeed. So this was entirely OS/drivers issue. In Win7 all this was gone, I can even use hybrid sleep, which is perfect as I don't have a UPS on my HTPC.

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden

Have you tried "Reinitialize service on wake up" in PowerScheduler? This option used to have a bug that would cause other issues after resume, but has now been fixed in RC3.

Also note that if you want to use a button to suspend the system (instead of just leaving it to suspend on its own) you should map that button to MP's own "suspend" action, so that the suspend is still handled by PowerScheduler, otherwise you are guaranteed to have issues.

On a side note:
    For me WinXP was a disaster. The system would occasionally hang on resume (not MP, the whole system). In fact when I used hibernation, if after a failed resume I removed the power from PC and tried to resume again, it would succeed. So this was entirely OS/drivers issue. In Win7 all this was gone, I can even use hybrid sleep, which is perfect as I don't have a UPS on my HTPC.

Thank you for your input on this. I really wish that I would not need anything other than MP to have suspend/resume working. I am using 'Reinitialize service on wake up' and perhaps that was one of the issues then. As soon as possible I will have a go at trying this again with your proposals.

I have the infamous Nova-T 500 DVB-T card which is very slow at responding after resume but other users (paranoid_delusion) have had success with just setting 20 seconds waiting time for this card, for me that doesn't help (I have used up to 60 seconds without any improvement).

Is the MPs own suspend action the same as going to home screen and selection shut down->suspend? Because that is what I do but then nothing happens. So the only way for me is to set a time out of 2 minutes in Powerscheduler and let the system suspend that way.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Is the MPs own suspend action the same as going to home screen and selection shut down->suspend? Because that is what I do but then nothing happens. So the only way for me is to set a time out of 2 minutes in Powerscheduler and let the system suspend that way.

Yes it is. For it to work you need to have PowerScheduler enabled in both TV Server and MediaPortal. Also IIRC you have to have the same settings (e.g. suspend/hibernate) on both.

If it doesn't work, enable extensive logging in PowerScheduler (both server and client), use MediaPortal Debug Mode to collect full logs and start a new thread about the issue.

Dragy

Portal Pro
    April 27, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Okay. Changed a few things. Now I let Eventghost handle the standby process by MP and I think it's working. Things I tried:
    Reinitialize TVService on wakup + Windows Standby = NO SUCCES (no tv after standby, have to restart service) (see 1st log and this time it was made with the first debug option)
    No Reinitializing + MP Standby = NO SUCCESS (see 3nd log)
    Reinitializing + MP Standby = SUCCESS (2 times in test period) ! (see 4rd log)

Now the time will learn if this is reliable in the future.

I'm not sure what I did the 2nd time (2nd log).

//edit
    Unreliable.. Tried a 3rd time. No success :( See latest log

//edit2
    Now it will restart the TVService on wakeup. This also works. Now I have to try if it will still record a show from standby. Wait a moment, I will update this post soon.

//edit3
    Seems to work :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom