1.10.0 TV-server records bad when no clients are connected (1 Viewer)

peterzxc

Portal Member
March 27, 2008
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MediaPortal Version: 1.10.0

Description
After some testing I realized that the recordings became useless whenever the frontend was disconnected. So I've now configured the frontend to minimize when closed, and everything works fine... (almost. I have a problem to view recordings from another computer with only a client, but I've not spent any time debugging that yet)
/Peter

Operativsystemets namn Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 build 7601
Datortyp X86-based PC
Processor AMD E-350 Processor, 1600 Mhz, 2 kärnor, 2 logiska processorer
BIOS-version och -datum American Megatrends Inc. 0401, 2011-02-16
SMBIOS-version 2.6

Steps to Reproduce:
on a computer with both server and client: start a recording, watch it for a while to see that it's ok, stop the client a while, restart the client and watch the recording from where you stopped

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello Peter

After some testing I realized that the recordings became useless whenever the frontend was disconnected.
    Does the problem occur with all channels, or only some?

I'm not able to reproduce the problem, so please could you attach log files:
    1. Ensure TV Server log level is set to "debug",
    2. Reproduce the problem (short recording with client disconnected).
    3. Use the watchdog with option 3 to collect logs into a zip file.
    4. Post/attach the zip file in this thread, and specify the time that you started the test recording.

peterzxc

Portal Member
    March 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Started recoding around 9.37, stayed on for 30 s, switched off the client for some 30 s, started it again and viewed until I saw the problem occur.
    Watchdog failed to collect any server-logs, so I collected all logs with timestamps around the test manually...
    /Peter

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The TsWriter log is full of continuity errors. This is usually caused either by low signal strength/quality, or timeshift/record HDD load.

Are you confident that your signal strength and quality is good?
    Do you have any security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware etc.) installed on the PC (... don't forget Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials), and if so, have you excluded the MP and TV Server program, config, timeshift and record directories from scanning?
    Is the HDD containing the timeshift/record directory almost full?
    Have you enabled aggressive power saving modes for the PC?

peterzxc

Portal Member
    March 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I have the TV signal entering via fiber, so the signal is ok. I have no real-time security sw active at all for the time beeing. There is 270 GB abvailabe on a 2T disk. I have switched off all powersavings.
    The thing is that the continuity errors appears almost only when the front-end is switched off. When it is on it only happens a few times per hours, so my initial thought was that the tv-server do something special whenever no clients are connected...
    /Peter

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Peter

I have the TV signal entering via fiber...
    Okay.

...my initial thought was that the tv-server do something special whenever no clients are connected...
    I can confirm that it doesn't.

Another two questions...
    Does the problem happen if you have non-MediaPortal software (for example, internet browser watching youtube etc.) open?
    Can you please try to use the DPC Latency Checker tool to check for potential problems?

peterzxc

Portal Member
    March 27, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    No, no other sw seem to have any influence on the recordings. I can view HD movies while recording without problems, and
    the latecny tester gave ok to my system.

You were correct about the screensaver settings. If that setting can create the problem I suggest it should be removed...

Many thanks for the support, now I will see why the other PC with only the client installed cannot playout any recordings...
    /Peter

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    You were correct about the screensaver settings. If that setting can create the problem I suggest it should be removed...
    Screensaver is only supposed to 'kick in' after xx minutes inactivity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom