[solved] TV Server Service preventing sleep (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    After years of running my single sit MP1 24/7 I decided to save myself some money and make sure it goes to sleep whenever it needs to.
    However it just won't. Power Scheduler is enabled and setup but in fact TV server service is preventing Windows to go to sleep. If I stop the TV service Windows goes to sleep as expected.

If I use active sleep from Power Scheduler it just goes to sleep after the defined timer from the last time it woke up even though someone is using the PC. So this is not usable either.

It seems like the TV Server keeps turning power request on and off.
    Running powercfg -requests often comes back empty but if I keep running it in short interval it will inevitably show:
    [SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\TvService.exe (TVService)

I'm still on MP 1.16. Is there a way to configure this so that it works? Am I running an older broken version of Power Scheduler?
    Is there an option in the basic TV Server configuration that I'm missing?

Attachments

• MediaPortalLogs_06_11_18__14_46.zip
      4.4 MB
    Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Could be an issue with a wrongly configured EPG. Can you post a screenshot of how you've set it up, particularly the page with the channel selection(s)?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    upload_2018-11-6_16-4-49.png

upload_2018-11-6_16-6-7.png

upload_2018-11-6_16-6-58.png

Does that help?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Yep, your EPG is not correctly set up.

You have ticked each channel. What is now happening is that the EPG of the first channel is read. However, it is very likely that this channel broadcasts not just info for this spoecific channel but for the whole bouquet, which is then read and stored - taking some time. Then the next channel is treated in the same manner, taking again a lot of time and, more ipotant, most likely reading and writing redundant information that was already gathered.

There are two solutions that I suggest:
    1. Tick only the very minimum number of channels, i.e. only one for a given provider.
    2. Use the EPG Grabber (Lehmden) instead. Since you are in Germany this would be the most convenient and efficient way to go. This would get you a 99% complete EPG since almost everything can automatically be read from free online sources (TV Movie). In my cases I then only need to add 3-4 channels (mainly Sky Sports/Bundesliga where you tick only one to get all Bundesliga channels automatically.=

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That should not prevent the computer to go to sleep though since "Do not put the computer to sleep while grabbing EPG" is not set.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It does in all cases:. a running EPG grabber will change the Windows computer state from idle to busy. Test the hypothesis by completely deactivating the grabber. You should see your PC going to sleep after the preset time.
    I was just testing without Power Scheduler activated and it still would not go to sleep. That means the TV server itself is indeed requesting power and preventing sleep. I'll do more testing.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'll do more testing.
    Sure, as you like.:) However, I did this years ago, and found my explanation to be 100% accurate. In fact your EPG grabber is running into a time out because the max time (30 min) is not long enough to allow a full grab of each ticked channel in your EPG. Even 120 min will probably not be sufficient.

Every few months I am giving the same explanations and advice to somebody who has been doing the same that you did.;)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It did go to sleep after disabling "EPG grabbing while idle" and restarting the service.
    explanation to be 100% accurate
    They are indeed :) Thanks a lot mate!

Looks to me like we ought to fix that in TV server at some point.

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    So I've re-enabled "EPG grabbing while idle" this time making sure I have a limited TV Epg Grabber channel selection.
    Sure enough it did go to sleep once it was done grabbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom