TV Server Setup for HD Homerun (1 Viewer)

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
August 24, 2006
Tampa
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have MCE installed and can use the tuner fine within that environment I'd just like to use MP as that's my weapon of choice for all my other media center needs. My frustration is that the setup hits a brick wall as there are no US settings in the drop down yet Silicon Dust claim MP compatibility. I appreciate it's not your guys responsibility to make every piece of hardware play nice with MP but as there is a big market of US cable subscribers and, to my knowledge only three manufacturers (Hauppage, Ceaton and Silicon Dust) selling cablecard compatible solutions, I'm just surprised no one has found some way for this to work. I'm starting to feel like a criminal asking for the combination to the bank vault when in reality I'm just trying to get access to what I've already paid for using my interface of choice.

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    There is a US based Dev waiting to get the source for the TV Service cablecard patch so he can try to help get this done. Apparently some in the test group are successful with the yet unreleased patch with the Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB tuner. It seems the PlayReady DRM (which the Ceton uses) is a grey area, and they are treading carefully.

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Tampa
    Home Country
    I wonder if it would be possible, in the future for MP to access the play ready verification that MCE already has, that way you'd still be legitimate. At the moment the situation seems crazy. It's like buying a router, signing up with an ISP and being told you can only get to the internet through IE.

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    I have MCE installed and can use the tuner fine within that environment I'd just like to use MP as that's my weapon of choice for all my other media center needs. My frustration is that the setup hits a brick wall as there are no US settings in the drop down yet Silicon Dust claim MP compatibility. I appreciate it's not your guys responsibility to make every piece of hardware play nice with MP but as there is a big market of US cable subscribers and, to my knowledge only three manufacturers (Hauppage, Ceaton and Silicon Dust) selling cablecard compatible solutions, I'm just surprised no one has found some way for this to work. I'm starting to feel like a criminal asking for the combination to the bank vault when in reality I'm just trying to get access to what I've already paid for using my interface of choice.

Where did you see the bolded? I looked at their site and downloaded the flyer for the prime and all I see is:
    Compatible with:
    • Windows Media Center on Windows 7

Their quick start guide also just mentions Media Center.
    Which could mean it uses this PlayReady DRM from MS as well, just like the Ceton.

If you can show me where they state the prime is compatible with MP I will contact their tech support and get more information.
    Thanks.

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Their website states:

DVR applications

HDHomeRun PRIME supports streaming access-controlled copy-freely channels to other DVR applications including MythTV. These are channels that you subscribe to, are encrypted on the cable system (access-controlled), and do not impose restriction on use inside the home (copy-freely).​
    I can only assume this also can apply to MediaPortal.

The HDHomerun Dual HDHR3-US only supports ATSC and clearQam in MediaPortal, but nowhere on their site, other than the user forum, is MediaPortal mentioned.

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    if you go to www.silicondust.com and look at the HDHR Prime spec page "Learn More" they mention the following, nothing about MePo .

Windows Media Center on Windows 7/8
    MythTV 0.25 or later – DVR for Linux/Mac – copy freely channels only
    NextPVR – DVR for Windows – copy freely channels only

My reading is WMC supports all CableCard functions with cable company required restrictions on what you can record all enforced by DRM.

For Myth/NextPVR they only support copy freely. I assume this is similar to QAM local OTA TV channels that are not encrypted. I'd guess MePo might be able to get similar "copy freely" support but I'm not a developer and don't know what this would take. They might even charge for copy freely support/license but I have no idea.

They have instructions for ATSC/QAM setup but I think that was written before they added Prime/CableCard. I use HDHR for OTA ATSC without problems, other users report using HDHR for QAM cable.

Darrin2101

Portal Pro
    August 24, 2006
    Tampa
    Home Country
    http://www.hdhomerun.com/support/hdhomerun/instructions/mediaportal/
    The software that comes with the unit also has an option for mediaportal which, to me, is a clear admission by Silicon Dust that they endorse it's compatibility, although I'll admit there are fewer mentions of it around the website since the launch of 1.30. I suspect their webmaster may have been busy with the delete key in an arse-covering exercise. Oh well, looks like I must use MCE as I don't really want to be flicking between programs to get the job done

Last edited:

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country

CodeMonkey

Portal Pro
    December 8, 2004
    North America
    Home Country
    I posted to the author of NextPVR, who happens to be a very knowledgeable and helpful person, about this topic. His response:

NextPVR has built in support for the HDHomeRun Prime, and Hauppauge DCR-2650. With one of these devices present, it requests channel information from an xml url in the devices internal web server. It can use this to determine the lists of copy freely and copy protected channels. I think there is also a descriptor in the stream of each channel that gives this information, but I never had to look for it since there was an easier way to get the data.

I also asked if he needed to license PlayReady or anything else and he said:
    No, but the mechanism I use only gives me access to the unprotected and copy-freely channels. The same mechanism cannot be used to get the copy-once/copy-never channels.
    So basically without licensing the DRM, you can get the copy-freely channels. To get the rest you must need to license the DRM.

Also based on what I have read Time-Warner (my cable provider) has very few channels marked copy-freely.
    So investing the money on a card and the time does not make sense for me.

ap90033

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 24, 2011
    Home Country
    So who here wants to work on adding a how to on making the HD Homeruns work? I say we cover install of tv server, config of tv tuners, EPG (USA FOR SURE) using Webepg or WebGrab+ (which i am close to being ready to switch to), and ??? Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom