TV Server stopping after upgrade to W10 (1 Viewer)

PoBear

Portal Pro
April 17, 2006
Northants, United Kingdom
Last week I updated my TV Server to W10 I'm running 1.12.0 of MP.

Recordings seem to be OK but I am having problems with watching TV which I have not had prior to the upgrade.

The logs seem to indicate that the system is losing authority to access the Timshifting folder after a period of time. The logs are available on the following

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ajr3DFwp3E-lnCKkE8bfbVARqLUM

A possibly related query, I noticed after restart that the system appears to be creating thumbnails for the recorded TV files, there are lots of these and it appears to be doing this for all of the files on the three disks that I record to. Two questions, should it be doing this for old files and is it a necessary process in the first place as it seems to using considerable CPU time?

Thanks in advance

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Two questions, should it be doing this for old files...
    Yes, when the thumbnailer is enabled it's normal for it to create thumbnails for all recordings that do not have thumbnails.

...and is it a necessary process in the first place as it seems to using considerable CPU time?
    Well that's completely up to you. If you don't care about having thumbnails you can choose to disable the thumbnailer (untick "autocreate thumbs" and restart the TV service):
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...V-Server_Configuration/07_Recording#TV_Thumbs

Obviously if you disable the thumbnailer then you won't get thumbnails for new recordings.
    Also, creation of thumbnails is a "one time" thing. The CPU usage will drop away once you have thumbnails for all historical recordings.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...and regarding the main reason for posting...

It would really help if you would specify an example date, approximate time, and channel so we don't have to guess and go trawling through all the log files. It's also be appreciated if you'd use the Watchdog tool - ideally option 1 - so we get all the log files (not just TV Server's) in a convenient zip file.

PoBear

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2006
    Sorry thought the TV Service Error logs would indicate when it fell over

OK the errors are at

2016-07-08 16:38:11,611

2016-07-08 14:41:01,185

2016-07-08 14:30:41,918

The folder has all of the logs from today.

Can watchdog collect logs from multiple machines? I'm happy to post the MP logs from the client machine if you need them :)
    --- Post updated ---
    Two questions, should it be doing this for old files...
    Yes, when the thumbnailer is enabled it's normal for it to create thumbnails for all recordings that do not have thumbnails.

But it's creating thumbnails for programmes recorded a year ago, surely there should already be a thumbnail for all of these already?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK the errors are at...
    I can see exceptions at all those times. However I'm not sure if/how they relate to the "problems with watching TV" that you're asking about. I had assumed that since your problems are with watching live TV, the errors would manifest in the log at the corresponding times... however none of those exceptions occur while live TV is running, so...

Could you describe what the problems actually are?

Can watchdog collect logs from multiple machines?
    No.

I'm happy to post the MP logs from the client machine if you need them :)
    Both server and client logs are needed... but just as important are the other details (date/time, channel name, description of what happens etc.).

But it's creating thumbnails for programmes recorded a year ago, surely there should already be a thumbnail for all of these already?
    Pass.
    If it's creating them then I would guess not. I'm not able to check the hard drive, but you can.

PoBear

Portal Pro
    April 17, 2006
    I've added the MP Client logs to the link above.

Basically we were watching TV through the MP client. The picture froze. When I checked the TV Server I found that the TV Service had stopped. I restarted it, we watched TV again, it froze, service had stopped again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    When I checked the TV Server I found that the TV Service had stopped.
    Ahhh, I see. Don't know how I missed that detail in the title ( :oops: ) - sorry. For problems like this we need the Windows application and system event log files from the server, and also details of at least one date/time when this happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom