TV Server | Page 5

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by Anonymous, November 23, 2004.

1. rabbitinpumpkin

rabbitinpumpkin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd be interested in seeing this. I have a wireless MP tv/file server sitting in my living room. However my wife and I would like to watch it in our bedroom on the laptop.

Currently I've been using VLC to stream videos and etc.. wirelessly to our laptop. However, VLC's interface is clunky and takes way too much effort at times.

On top of that, I have to minimize MP or shut it down to work with VLC because otherwise it'd just get in the way. I've been reading around and haven't seen a keyboard shortcut that will just minimize a fullscreen of MP. I just read a thread about that on a thread and I'm surprised to not see this feature either. I know we want it to run as a full enclosed media center, but in truth, MP is not *just* a media center. lol.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To the OP:
    I had a program that used to do this, called snapstream PVS. I think it may have changed its name recently though.

Allan

4. Khris

Khris Portal Pro

IT Geek
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    It's now called Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link.

BTV is the Server, and BTV Link is the remote client software. I'm using them both now, however I'm finding that MP is a much better program.

5. iolaus

iolaus Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a Media Server / HTPC setup and would like to add myself to the list of those who would love this feature. Any kind of client/server or MP/VLC setup would be WONDERFUL! I've been hunting for an elegant content on demand system for some time now and Media Portal seems like the most promising system I've seen so far. I believe the benefit of being able to store content on one central box (and also provide TV from that box) and watch it on many clients is an amazingly powerful feature. Please keep us up-to-date on any upcoming implementation or concerns.

Thanks,
    Ryan

6. awolbush

awolbush Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Home Country:
    United States of America United States of America
    I hate to rain on your parade, but what I'd like to see is MP split into a client and a server. A client could (just like MythTV) run on the same machine as the server to provide an all-in-one unit. But then I'd like to see a client that can be downloaded to a LinkSys Media Extender. Or a client that could run on a PC.

If the client gets connected to an unused tv card, it would receive full ownership privileges (change channels, etc.). Clients that connect to a tv card in use would only receive guest privileges and could only watch what the card was tuned to.

This could be applied to all of the servers' media resources (Movies, Radio, Pictures, etc.). This has the obviuos advantage that the server can now be any old PC located in another room with lots of disk drives. For Living-room watching, the LinkSys Media Extender (small, very quiet box) would act as the go-between (its remote is very similar to the MCE remote).

Well, any responses?

:wink:

7. samuel337

samuel337 Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seeing as you asked, I'll give a response, but its not what you're after.

Basically, I think the general consensus among the MP devs is to firstly, make sure MediaPortal, especially the TV module, is rock solid before making any significant changes, such as splitting it into a client/server setup.

Maybe the dev team will do it when they switch over to .NET 2.0, which will be a big change...

Sam

8. csenior

csenior Portal Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Ryan,

When are you planning on releasing some beta for all of us to test?

Thanks.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!