TV Server (1 Viewer)

R

rabbitinpumpkin

I'd be interested in seeing this. I have a wireless MP tv/file server sitting in my living room. However my wife and I would like to watch it in our bedroom on the laptop.

Currently I've been using VLC to stream videos and etc.. wirelessly to our laptop. However, VLC's interface is clunky and takes way too much effort at times.

On top of that, I have to minimize MP or shut it down to work with VLC because otherwise it'd just get in the way. I've been reading around and haven't seen a keyboard shortcut that will just minimize a fullscreen of MP. I just read a thread about that on a thread and I'm surprised to not see this feature either. I know we want it to run as a full enclosed media center, but in truth, MP is not *just* a media center. lol.

A

Anonymous

To the OP:
I had a program that used to do this, called snapstream PVS. I think it may have changed its name recently though.

Allan

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
allanmb said:
To the OP:
I had a program that used to do this, called snapstream PVS. I think it may have changed its name recently though.

Allan

It's now called Beyond TV and Beyond TV Link.

BTV is the Server, and BTV Link is the remote client software. I'm using them both now, however I'm finding that MP is a much better program.

I

iolaus

Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a Media Server / HTPC setup and would like to add myself to the list of those who would love this feature. Any kind of client/server or MP/VLC setup would be WONDERFUL! I've been hunting for an elegant content on demand system for some time now and Media Portal seems like the most promising system I've seen so far. I believe the benefit of being able to store content on one central box (and also provide TV from that box) and watch it on many clients is an amazingly powerful feature. Please keep us up-to-date on any upcoming implementation or concerns.

Thanks,
Ryan

awolbush

Portal Member
August 3, 2005
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I hate to rain on your parade, but what I'd like to see is MP split into a client and a server. A client could (just like MythTV) run on the same machine as the server to provide an all-in-one unit. But then I'd like to see a client that can be downloaded to a LinkSys Media Extender. Or a client that could run on a PC.

If the client gets connected to an unused tv card, it would receive full ownership privileges (change channels, etc.). Clients that connect to a tv card in use would only receive guest privileges and could only watch what the card was tuned to.

This could be applied to all of the servers' media resources (Movies, Radio, Pictures, etc.). This has the obviuos advantage that the server can now be any old PC located in another room with lots of disk drives. For Living-room watching, the LinkSys Media Extender (small, very quiet box) would act as the go-between (its remote is very similar to the MCE remote).

Well, any responses?

:wink:

samuel337

Portal Pro
August 25, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Seeing as you asked, I'll give a response, but its not what you're after.

Basically, I think the general consensus among the MP devs is to firstly, make sure MediaPortal, especially the TV module, is rock solid before making any significant changes, such as splitting it into a client/server setup.

Maybe the dev team will do it when they switch over to .NET 2.0, which will be a big change...

Sam

csenior

Portal Member
July 11, 2005
iolaus said:
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building a Media Server / HTPC setup and would like to add myself to the list of those who would love this feature. Any kind of client/server or MP/VLC setup would be WONDERFUL! I've been hunting for an elegant content on demand system for some time now and Media Portal seems like the most promising system I've seen so far. I believe the benefit of being able to store content on one central box (and also provide TV from that box) and watch it on many clients is an amazingly powerful feature. Please keep us up-to-date on any upcoming implementation or concerns.

Thanks,
Ryan

Hey Ryan,

When are you planning on releasing some beta for all of us to test?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom