TV-Service "freezes" 2-3 times a day (1 Viewer)

Kossu

Portal Pro
June 8, 2008
Home Country
Finland Finland
TV-Server Version: RC3
MediaPortal Version: RC3
MediaPortal Skin: Blue3
Windows Version: XP SP3
1. TV Card: Technotrend 1500
1. TV Card Type: DVB-C

Hello,

I highly doubt I will get a response to this, but might as well throw it out there, maybe someone else is having the same problem.

Problem is that 2-3 times a day the TV-Service will basically freeze, if u are lucky it might be able to tune into a channel after 5-10 tries and it takes several 10s of seconds for it to do so, it simply displays no signal detected. A quick restart of the tvservice will fixes the problem temporarily. (net restart tvservice, then net start tvservice).
It appears its the combination of my tv card and the tv-service, and I have a hitch its caused by EPG, as turning on EPG fetching while there's an active channel makes it freeze about 10 times a day.

unfortunately the log file size was 500mb at this point so no luck opening that file, however if someone is willing to take a look into this id be more than happy to fetch the logs.

Thanks.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    FWIW, I get a similar problem but with different hardware and signal source (Hauppauge HVR-3000 using DVB-S). Sometimes it will refuse to tune a channel (I can't remember the error at the moment - I think it probably says "cannot create graph"), but if I try a different channel it'll start up, then I can change to the channel I want. It seems like if I'm watching something it'll change to any other channel with no problems - the problem only seems to happen when turning live TV on to start with.

It's only happened on my system since going from the internal TV engine to using the TVServer with RC2/3, so I assumed it was to do with the TVServer, but I haven't really looked into it yet.

If it's to do with EPG I could just turn that off (I use webepg anyway) - I'll give it a try later.

Rob

IkeV70

Portal Pro
    April 28, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Same here. FloppyDVB T/CI card.
    Until recently I had regular freezes of the TV. Now the TV doesn't freeze but switches itself off. After restarting MP I can turn the tv on again, but the problem will re-occur within half an hour or so. After restarting MP and TVService the problem will stay away for a day or so.

Last couple of days the TV has been reasonably stable (compared to before), but it remains to be to weakest link in my MP installation.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    If you want that somebody can help you - provide logs.
    I can post some logs next time it happens. I was really only responding to the OP - I haven't looked into the problem on my system because it didn't really bother me that much (just selecting another channel first usually kicks it into life).

Rob

Kossu

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    If you want that somebody can help you - provide logs.

If you would of bothered to read I said I will provide logs once its occurs again as taking it out from a 500 mb text file isnt an option in Windows, unless u want to have a go?

I first wanted to see if other people had the same issue or was its just my setup as mediaportal isnt gonna code a fix just to help me.

Kossu

Portal Pro
    June 8, 2008
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I changed to webepg after posting this thread to test if it was EPG causing it, and its been almost 3 days now and it hasnt frozen a single time. So theres undoubtly some problems with the EPG.

RobNorthcott

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2007
    Dartmoor, England
    Home Country
    Just remenber what your getting for free here.
    Indeed, MP is generally excellent, and free. But nobody's moaning here - just reporting a problem. All complex software, not just open-source freeware, is bound to have a few problems on some systems. I get this problem very occasionally (in fact, it hasn't happened again since I posted, otherwise I'd have posted some logs), and it's so rare it doesn't really bother me that much. But it does sometimes happen, and it would be nice if I knew what caused it - so when it does it again I'll post my logs, unless it's already been sorted.

I've turned off the EPG grabbing from DVB, because I don't use it anyway (I find webepg to be better), just in case it was a problem.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom