TV Service not starting when XP does (1 Viewer)

bazzaa

Portal Member
December 27, 2008
Gold Coast
Home Country
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin:
Windows Version: XP Pro sp3
CPU Type: AM2 X2 5200
HDD: Western Digital 320
Memory: 2gig DDR2 667
Motherboard: Gigabyte M55S-S3v1.1
Video Card: EliteGroup 8600GT 256meg DDR2
Video Card Driver:
Sound Card: onboard
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card: Winfast DTV2000H
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T and Analogue
1. TV Card Driver: 4.0.112.3223
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: ffdshow
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: Thermaltake 430
Remote:
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I've just installed v1.0 and it all seems to run fine, bar one thing. The TVService service isn't starting when Windows boots up. The service is listed and is set to auto.

If I run MP (the client) I get asked where the server is, but of course as the service isn't running it never finds it even if I specify it. If I run the Server config tool it asks if I want to start the TVService service. If I ok it the service starts and then everything proceeds as normal from there on in.

If I check services.msc after Windows has booted up, the TVService service is there, set to automatic, but it is not started. I haven't touched the service itself and as far as fiddling in MP goes all I've really done is scan for channels, setup the EPG config and set my weather location.

The machine has a single DTV2000H card in it and a single onboard nforce ethernet port. I changed the TV Server name in the server config tool, so it showed the fixed IP of this PC rather than its 'name', hoping that may help but it didn't. (I can't figure out how you change that back either)

This is all only on a cold boot, or reboot. After resuming from S3, or logging out and back in, the TVService seems to recover normally (so far anyway).

Apologies for making what must be a stupid mistake. Any clues on what's going on here?
Server logs in case it helps. View attachment 31810

bazzaa

Portal Member
December 27, 2008
Gold Coast
Home Country
Oh I forgot to mention that I tried the fix mentioned in this thread and setting those two network services to auto made no difference. I see I forgot to put the TV Server version in my CP too, but its the one bundled with MP 1.0.

I'm guessing the TV Server service is waiting on something that isn't happening, or isn't happening in a timely manner? I assume it should start at system boot, to handle any scheduled events like recordings? Should there be any tray indicator?

Is it also odd that the MP client doesn't cause it to start, or not? I do get the message "waiting for TV service to start" when I launch MP, but if I haven't manually started it, either with the tv server config tool or from services.msc, it won't work.

bazzaa

Portal Member
December 27, 2008
Gold Coast
Home Country
I think MP will be getting binned...

I've now found that if I leave the system with the TV Service in auto, but not started, then let it go into Standby, the BDA driver goes west in a bad way.

If I subsequently try to use the card with anything, like the software that comes with it, I get a corrupt channel table. Image attached for amusement purposes. MediaPortal breaks Winfast BDA driver.jpg
I shouldn't really have 8 transport streams of SBS ;)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've now found that if I leave the system with the TV Service in auto, but not started, then let it go into Standby, the BDA driver goes west in a bad way.

Was Powerscheduler responsible for the standby event, if not it needs to be.

Regarding Service not starting correctly, either the account you are running on has not enough privileges, or your xp install is mucked up.

Regards

bazzaa

Portal Member
    December 27, 2008
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Was Powerscheduler responsible for the standby event, if not it needs to be

No, but why would it be? Is it bundled in the download? Is it marked as a requirement in the documentation? (if it is I've clearly yet to read that far)

I've been running the PC in question as a HTPC for about 3 years, using a variety of software (but mostly Web Scheduler) and I've never needed the program you mention, I have around 20 events that run just fine using the scheduler in XP and the MCE Standby Tool (0.9.091) takes care of any minor issues in S3 handling. What is the technical reasoning behind your suggestion I need something else? I'm not normally inclined to make a system more complex on a whim.

Further to my last message, I removed MP, thinking perhaps a re-install may help. After removing, I tried Winfast PVR2 and Web Scheduler, just to make sure I was getting the correct 8 transport streams again and not that problem in the image above. Unfortunately now neither programcan tune any channels on my card at all! The only change was removing MP, so it has broken something, I assume BDA related, and broken it badly. I'm just about to try reversing that "dvbfix" to see if it has any bearing on the issue. (If this means a Windows reinstall I won't be a happy camper)

Regarding Service not starting correctly, either the account you are running on has not enough privileges, or your xp install is mucked up.

There are no problems with my Windows install and the account has administrative privs. At least there are no problems unrelated to, nor pre-existing, this attempt to make MP work. Care to be more specific than "mucked up"? That doesn't give me a lot to work with. What exactly do you suspect is wrong with it, or are you simply assuming it can't be MP's fault? No other services are giving problems and this PC does some fairly fancy footwork on a daily basis.

I'm going to assume it's a problem with TV Server, given the weight of posts supporting this line of reasoning. I think you might need to look a little closer to home. All I required was information on how to make your service work the way it is supposed to.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No, but why would it be? Is it bundled in the download? Is it marked as a requirement in the documentation? (if it is I've clearly yet to read that far)

Yes it is supplied, its in the plugin section of mediaportal config, if using MP's built in TV or TVServer config plugins if using that.

This controls all TV recordings schedules involving standby, more info here

TV-Server/Configuration/Plugins/PowerScheduler - MediaPortal Manual Documentation
    MediaPortal/Configuration/Plugins/PowerScheduler - MediaPortal Manual Documentation

and this PC does some fairly fancy footwork on a daily basis.

And that is what normally breaks things for me, 3rd party software, which i just love to tryout, even well known names.

bazzaa

Portal Member
    December 27, 2008
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    Yes it is supplied, its in the plugin section of mediaportal config

That doesn't make it required reading. Sorry.

And that is what normally breaks things for me, 3rd party software

Which was all running fine before MP was introduced.

So how have your posts helped me exactly? You're suggesting that all I need to do is stop using the PC?

BTW, I removed the profile on which MP was installed and the machine is running just fine, on the three others that pre-existed. So it's not a problem my end.

Good try fail. Glad I spent an hour making a compliant post originally!!! All those logs, soooo helpful.

The level of technical expertise at play here is astounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom