TV service some days not starting (1 Viewer)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Since the update to 1.6.0 the TV service fails to start regularly.

I run the TV service on a dedicated server. This server shuts down at 1:50 and restarts at 7:00. But since the update to 1.6.0 one out of three days it does not start.

The last log is from 1:50 this morning, last entry shows it shutting down. No logs from today.

Any suggestions?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Please post the TVService.log and TsWriter.log, and also export and post the Windows application event log.

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Was away from home. Attached the requested logs. Hopes that helps.

Since my first message, as a work around, I now also have a schedule that runs the TV server DB repair command to trigger a (re)start of the TV service, so that the family can enjoy MP even when I'm travelling. I had no complaints this week :).

Note that the server starts at 7:00, runs the repair command at 8:00 and shuts down at 1:50.

VdR

Attachments

• TsWriter.bak
      14.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello VdR

Thanks for the logs :)

What date are we talking about here?
    On the 26th and 27th it looks like the service starts at 7am, then gets stopped and restarted at about 7:16am.

On the 25th the service starts at 7:16am... so maybe that is when you think the problem occurred?

One thing I'm noticing is that on the 26th and 27th TV Server starts with access to one IP address:
    [2014-02-27 07:01:46,979] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: started at CM690
    [2014-02-27 07:01:46,981] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.178.24
    [2014-02-27 07:01:47,078] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on CM690

Then at 7:16 when it is restarted:
    [2014-02-27 07:16:08,477] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: started at CM690
    [2014-02-27 07:16:08,478] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.178.24
    [2014-02-27 07:16:08,480] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:10.112.1.6
    [2014-02-27 07:16:08,530] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on CM690

So, another question: how are you determining that the service is not running? Could it be running but bound to the wrong IP address?

mm

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thank you for the reply, I'm away from home the week so I could not answer earlier.

I determine that the service is not running when the client says it cannot connect to the TV server, and manually forcing a restart of the service by running the TV DB repair command solves the problem. True, it could be running and have another problem.

I do not know of having a problem on these two specific dates. I did put a work around in place a while back. The work around runs the TV DB repair command 15 minutes after start-up (not at 8:00 as reported earlier). Start-up is automatic at 7:00 every morning. I did not have a complaint (from the family) since I put this in place.

I did some experimenting because of that second IP address. The server connects to the internet through a VPN connection. When the VPN is active I see that additional IP address in the log, when it is not I don't. I assume that at the first start of the TV service (7:00) the VPN connection is not active yet, the second time (7:15) it is. The TV server is reachable in the local network on the first IP address, this second IP address does not seem to cause a problem. The issue with the TV service also started before I started using the VPN connection.

I now stopped the workaround (don't tell the family) so I can try to catch the problem in the logs.

VdR

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I determine that the service is not running when the client says it cannot connect to the TV server, and manually forcing a restart of the service by running the TV DB repair command solves the problem. True, it could be running and have another problem.
    Okay.

I do not know of having a problem on these two specific dates.
    To be clear, I was thinking you might have had the problem on the 25th. I mentioned the 26th and 27th just to explain what I see and try to understand what is "normal". The earlier comment about restarting at 8 had confused me a little. Now things are starting to become a little clearer... :)

I now stopped the workaround (don't tell the family) so I can try to catch the problem in the logs.
    Okay, looking forward to fresh logs. :)

VdR

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 17, 2006
    Belgium
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    This morning the TV server did not start again. Last entry in the logs are from it shutting down last night (this morning early) at 1:50 as scheduled. Nothing from this morning. Started fine yesterday around 7:00. Strange. Fresh logs attached.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmmm, that is odd. It looks like the service is cleanly stopped. Do you see anything in the Windows application event log indicating why the TV service hasn't started? Please also check for MySQL or SQL Server failures. If a service that TV Server depends on can't start for some reason then TV Server also won't start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom