TV Service stopped unexpectedly (1 Viewer)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've had a further look at Web EPG and am a little concerned about a few things.

If I remove a source, like radiotimes, won't it get reinstated again when I install the next release of MP1?

I set-up everything to use the DigiGuide and several of the AutoMap program names were nothing like those in the channels table: e.g. PBS mapped to ESPN.

CyberSimian: I think you were right to stick to broadcast EPG and I will do the same.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

When you tested WebEPG using Digiguide, did you find out what the maximum days worth of the EPG was returned? I seem to get a maximum of seven days and I assume that's the limit for Digiguide in the UK but it would be useful to confirm.

Thanks.

Tony

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    the help text says broadcast only retrieves 2 days of data.
    That is true for some countries in the world, but in the UK the DVB-T/T2 system transmits 7 full days of EPG, plus the remainder of the current day. I believe that DVB-S/S2 for the UK is similar, although I have no personal experience of that.

If I remove a source, like radiotimes, won't it get reinstated again when I install the next release of MP1?
    Not necessarily o_O. The MP install procedure is quite clever, and (generally) does not replace or overwrite files that contain configuration settings from users.

When you click "Save" on the WebEPG panel, I would expect WebEPG to write a config file containing your WebEPG settings, and that that file would not be overwritten when MP is updated to a newer release. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, i.e. we won't know for sure until you install the next release. Of course, it would be prudent to copy the WebEPG config file somewhere else before installing the newer MP.

I seem to get a maximum of seven days and I assume that's the limit for Digiguide in the UK but it would be useful to confirm
    This page claims at least 14 days for the subscription service (£15 per year), but that statement may not be UK-specific (although the cost clearly is). For the free service, the limit may well be 7 days (it seems a likely restriction, as they want you to pay for the subscription service :D).

I set-up everything to use the DigiGuide and several of the AutoMap program names were nothing like those in the channels table: e.g. PBS mapped to ESPN.
    I would guess that the Auto Map function looks first for an exact match with the MP channel name, but if no exact match is found, WebEPG then uses some partial-match algorithm to find a match.

Since MP allows you to modify the channel names displayed in the EPG (I have done this for various channels), correct mapping of channels cannot be guaranteed. But this is likely to be something that you need to correct only once (or when new channels are added, or when you modify the MP channel name). So initially you might need to spend some time correcting the mappings, but once done, only minor tweaks should be needed thereafter.

CyberSimian: I think you were right to stick to broadcast EPG and I will do the same.
    I like the simplicity of using the broadcast EPG -- it is effectively "fit and forget" :). Internet EPGs can provide more details, or more days, but good EPGs are unlikely to be free (although still cheaper than buying a listings magazine each week).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    That is true for some countries in the world, but in the UK the DVB-T/T2 system transmits 7 full days of EPG, plus the remainder of the current day. I believe that DVB-S/S2 for the UK is similar, although I have no personal experience of that.

In that case, I'll try not using WebEPG to see what happens and I'll get back to you.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi CyberSimian

I've tried not using WebEPG at all for a few days and can confirm what you said: that broadcast EPG retrieves 7 days at a time in the UK by default.

I have had no issues at all using DVB EPG this way, retrieving the EPG when the system is idle..

I think I am going to stick with doing things this way and expect TVService to be stable too: as there should be no contention when retrieving the EPG.

I know it's taken a while to get there so thank you for all of your help: it has made a big difference for me.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom