TV stopped working (black screen or colored pixels) (1 Viewer)

foboy

Portal Member
May 29, 2012
Backnang
Home Country
Germany Germany
I'm running V 1.2.3. Replacing TsReader.ax didn't help...

foboy

Portal Member
May 29, 2012
Backnang
Home Country
Germany Germany
Good news seems like I found the problem:
MsMpEng.exe

I bet it's been messing around with every active .TS file because disabling MS Security Essentials live scan makes MP work like a charm again. (well,almost) :) Thanks again for your help Holzi anyway

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I bet it's been messing around with every active .TS file because disabling MS Security Essentials live scan makes MP work like a charm again. (well,almost) :) Thanks again for your help Holzi anyway
    The problem is MS Security essentials is scanning your timeshift/recording folder. This is causing a lot of stress for your HDD. Make an exception for those folder(s) and the problem will go away.

maff90

Portal Member
    December 26, 2011
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I think this has just happened to me live tv just stopped working i got a blank screen and the odd crackle of sound now and then and mediaportal freezing. I didn't have a clue what was going on and after i read this i saw msmpeng.exe was using way to much cpu. Thanks for pointing this out i disabled a couple of things from start up that didn't look necessary (i still had remote potato running from when i used windows media centre) as the microstoft website said and it seems to have worked. i will also stop ms se from scanning the recording folder just in case

fyx

Portal Member
    March 28, 2006
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hey guys I'm getting this very same issue but on windows 8 ... Sounds like it might be the same thing as it just 'started happening'. Only issue is I have no idea about all of the security stuff that win8 is up too[DOUBLEPOST=1349945644][/DOUBLEPOST]Right I just disabled the real time checking in windows defender so the same problem definitely exists in win8 pro

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I've been slowly getting problems with slow tuning and eventually culminated tonight in tuning to a black screen and a ts log full of continuity errors. Stumbled across this thread and decided to look at security essentials too..

I added in all my mediaportal processes (MePo, TVService) and all the folders related to MePo (installation, recordings and timeshift) and what do you know.. channel tunings that are probably 4 times faster than they were before and a clean tune every time.

Thanks very much.. would never of guess MSE would be causing the issue. Can't believe a quad core cpu and windows 7 on an ssd cant cope with MePo and MSE at the same time.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Can't believe a quad core cpu and windows 7 on an ssd cant cope with MePo and MSE at the same time.
    The issue is the HDD/SSD. It probably doesn't matter how fast it is: if MSE is trying to rescan the timeshift or recording files at the same rate that TV Server is spitting them out then there is a problem. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom