TV Stuttering (1 Viewer)

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't have experience with esx 5.0 but i suspect the VM as the cause of the stuttering. I've tried to play LiveTV in a VM, but that wasn't a great success either.

Hopefully someone has experience with running TV Server in VM, and can comment on this. I know @Sebastiii tried an USB TV Card in a VM, but he also experienced stuttering.

64mike53

Portal Member
    October 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I don't have experience with esx 5.0 but i suspect the VM as the cause of the stuttering.

I don't think it is the virtual environment that is the problem. I used ArgusTV as tv server with Mediaportal as client. It worked perfect and the tv server was also installed on esx 5.0. It could be possible that mediaportal tv server uses different techinques that have problem with a virtual environment.

64mike53

Portal Member
    October 31, 2011
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The problem still exist. I have been looking all over the internet for a possible solution but can't find anything. Does someone has a hint for me?

Lightning303

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 12, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey, im just throwing an idea in the room.
    Could you check if the stutter occurs whenever tvsever changes the timeshifting files? So e.g. the first file is full and tvserver generates a new one.
    Just an idea, as i have similar problems that seem to be connected to timeshiftig files.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    The problem still exist. I have been looking all over the internet for a possible solution but can't find anything. Does someone has a hint for me?

Sorry Mike, i'm out of ideas, but would still point to the VM, even if Argus ran fine on it. :(

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I wouldn't recommend running MediaPortal in a VM. Proper TV recording depends on having a very low latency and accurate timing, which is incompatible with virtualization.

felix_clerc

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    Just my 2 cents: I run TV server 1.3.0 in a VM running Windows 8 on an Hyper-v 2008R2 server without any issues - even timeshifting on a virtual disk and recording on a share from another VM on the same host with pass through storage.
    I do not suffer freezing issues, but this only works using the hyper-v vnic and having the integration Tools installed.
    I tested with legacy adapter and this was just repeated discontinuities.
    And I even had issues with SRV-IOP nic or vswitch on some tests I did on Hyper-v 2012.
    You should check your network card configuration, and make sure the most recent synthetic nic is used, and that the vmtools are installed and up to date...
    So even if not recommended, tv server in a VM is working :)
    PS: I remember having tried time ago on an esxi 4.1 without succes - maybe hyper-v handles better network than VMware?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Folks, just want to agree with what has already been said.
    TV Server is sensitive to HDD bandwidth and access latency, and also network access latency or unreliability.
    I wouldn't recommend using a VM except for testing. It might work, but there are bound to be more headaches in getting it working...

felix_clerc

Portal Pro
    October 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Switzerland Switzerland
    mm,
    I totally agree with you, but my tests seems to indicate that Windows 8 better supports being virtualized as TV server.
    I had a physical W7 tv server, and created the VM on 8 and tested both during 2 weeks, and the result was that the VM was just fine, so I switched to the VM and turned one computer off (green Datacenter ;) )
    Now, I have to agree that my hypervisor is quite powerfull and the others VM are not ressources intensive consuming (basically 2 DC, one forefront, one exchange, one remoteapp, one Wsus and one 2008 as file server) on a quad core hyper-threaded xeon @ 3.2Ghz with 32 Gb of ram, 4 nics, and the vms vhd on a raid 10 hardware, and storage on a raid 5 hw contoller

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom