TV Stutters after 1 hour (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    can you check that you do not have any heat problems?

would not be the first time, that heat causes stuttering/failing TV-Cards

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    can you check that you do not have any heat problems?

would not be the first time, that heat causes stuttering/failing TV-Cards

While I haven't actually measured the heat of the TV card in any way (how would one go about this?), switching the TV off and immediately back on solves the problem for another hour or so. would the TV card cool down fast enough in these few seconds to operate correctly for another hour or so?

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I have attached the logs. The TV started skipping a few minutes before I took the logs, but not as bad as it has in the past (although still bad enough to not be able to watch TV).
    Looking at your epg.log suggests that you have the DVB epg grabber enabled - is this correct?

You can check this in MP Setup under the Television section - make sure that the option "Grab EPG from DVB stream" (or words like that) is unchecked - I have found that this option does not work in Australia and could cause the symptoms you describe.....:(

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Looking at your epg.log suggests that you have the DVB epg grabber enabled - is this correct?

You can check this in MP Setup under the Television section - make sure that the option "Grab EPG from DVB stream" (or words like that) is unchecked - I have found that this option does not work in Australia and could cause the symptoms you describe.....:(

Thanks - will give it a go tonight.

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Well disabling grabbing EPG the from DVB Stream didn't seem to have any effect. I am still getting stuttering TV after about an hour.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Can you please do some more tests that might help us to nail this one:-

If you record a TV program, does it do the same "skipping" after about 1 hour?

Does the same skipping occur on all channels? Is it on both SD and HD channels?

Have you tried any other video decoders than the Nvidia ones - if so, which ones have you tried and was there any difference?

Could you monitor the CPU% and memory usage at the beginning and again at the time of the skipping - is CPU% hitting 100% for some reason?

Is this a dedicated HTPC, or a "general purpose PC? Are there other applications running that might be the cause?

When you say "turn off the TV" do you mean within MediaPortal, or are you referring to the physical TV ?

Is your OS fully up to date with Microsoft patches?

Have you applied the suggestions in the stickies under "Tips and Tricks"? Particularly this one?

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Can you please do some more tests that might help us to nail this one:-

If you record a TV program, does it do the same "skipping" after about 1 hour?

I tried this last night, and while I havent watched the recordning the whole way through it doesnt seem to have started skipping after the 1 hour mark (note: this was a "silent" recording, I was not watching the TV when it was made)

Does the same skipping occur on all channels? Is it on both SD and HD channels?

I only use SD channels.

Have you tried any other video decoders than the Nvidia ones - if so, which ones have you tried and was there any difference?

I have tried the Leadtek codec with the same results. The MPV codec squashes the video so I don't use it.

Could you monitor the CPU% and memory usage at the beginning and again at the time of the skipping - is CPU% hitting 100% for some reason?

I will try this soon (though I dont think it is).

Is this a dedicated HTPC, or a "general purpose PC? Are there other applications running that might be the cause?

Dedicated. I have tested this with only MediaPortal running.

When you say "turn off the TV" do you mean within MediaPortal, or are you referring to the physical TV ?

Within MediPortal.

Is your OS fully up to date with Microsoft patches?

Have you applied the suggestions in the stickies under "Tips and Tricks"? Particularly this one?

OS is fully up to date with all patch from recommended above post applied.

I am still getting the problems. After a little less than an hour the picture just starts to stutter and becomes unacceptable. I have noticed that there a lot of threads like this one popping up, so it looks like there could be a bug somewhere. If you want more logs etc. I can post them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom