TV Stutters after 1 hour (1 Viewer)

broadscott

Portal Pro
February 28, 2006
Is version 0.2.1.0 likely to fix this problem? Haven't installed it yet and would rather not mess with the setup if it's not likely to be fixed in the new version.

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Is version 0.2.1.0 likely to fix this problem? Haven't installed it yet and would rather not mess with the setup if it's not likely to be fixed in the new version.

I very much doubt it - I think this problem is peculiar to your setup/environment and is not a MediaPortal issue.

I am not aware that the problem you describe has been verified by others as a MediaPortal bug, so it is unlikely that it has been "fixed" - unless by accident.

Have you eliminated the things I suggested back in post #27?

shred444

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2006
    I am following this thread very closely.

I have been having problems with my system as well. After about an hour the video and audio become out of sync. I dont think there is any stuttering though. It is a slow progression. To resync, i have to either turn on/off the tv in the TV(home) screen or press pause, which will activate time shifting, and then play.

I am using a hauppauge 500mce on a dedicated HTPC.

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Yes - the stuttering you see when watching the TV also appears in the file.
    OK, so my guess is that the problem is somewhere in the "TV capture engine", and has nothing to do with video decoders or displays.

Any suggestions from here on from me are just wild guesses, so please feel free to ignore them...;)

Do you have the latest BDA drivers for the Leadtek DTV1000 installed?

Can you move the Leadtek DTV1000 to another PCI slot (with a different IRQ)?

Have you checked that the PCI latency of your video card is set to 64 or less?

Does this stutter occur on ALL SD channels and always at around the 50 minute mark?

Do you have a wireless network card/USB dongle installed on this PC?

Are there any other PCI devices/cards installed?

I am not sure how changing any of these things will fix the problem. If I record a show while not actually watching the TV (ie TV in MediaPortal turned off and just recording in the background) it records fine. It seems to me that there is some issue with the TV function of Media Portal.

shred444

Portal Pro
    May 13, 2006
    i can confirm this. also... if im watching tv and recording at the same time, the live TV will be offsync, but the recording will not.

Doodles

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi!
    Below are some lines from the Mediaportal.log which occur during each stutter. I am not sure if they indicate a cause of the stutter or an effect, but hopefully it will help.

10/18/2006 10:30:29 PM 1 VMR9Helper: playing->repaint 1
    10/18/2006 10:30:29 PM planescene: PresentSurface() frame:0 enabled:True allowed:False 1024x576
    10/18/2006 10:30:29 PM planescene: PresentSurface() frame:1 enabled:True allowed:False 1024x576
    10/18/2006 10:30:29 PM 1 VMR9Helper: repaint->playing 2
    10/18/2006 10:30:35 PM 1 VMR9Helper: playing->repaint 2
    10/18/2006 10:30:35 PM planescene: PresentSurface() frame:0 enabled:True allowed:False 1024x576
    10/18/2006 10:30:35 PM planescene: PresentSurface() frame:1 enabled:True allowed:False 1024x576
    10/18/2006 10:30:35 PM 1 VMR9Helper: repaint->playing 2

This is my config:

MediaPortal Version: 0.2.1.0 (2006-10-21)
    MediaPortal Skin: BlueTwo wide
    Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
    .NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
    DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
    CPU Type: AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.81GHz
    HDD: ?? 200Gb
    Memory: 1Gb DDM
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
    Motherboard Chipset: VIA K8M800
    Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce 6200 (128 MB)
    Video Card Resolution: 1440x900
    [Sound Card: (on board) Realtek AC'97
    Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5930
    1. TV Card: LeadTek WinFast DTV1000 T
    1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
    Video Codec: MPV Decoder Filter
    [Remote: MCE
    TV: Acer AL1916 19" widescreen monito
    TV - HTPC Connection: Sub-D

I also get a stutter now and again, though it varies as to how soon. Can be just a few minutes, or longer. I've checked the log file immediately after the stutter, and get very similar messages at the point of the stutter. (Logs attached.) Not sure if this is cause or effect, bit hopefully it's helpful knowing two people get the same.

I note we both have LeadTek DTV1000T cards. Wonder if that's relevant?

I used the "!" key to view the farme rate, etc. and got a couple of lost frames at the stutter. Frame rate is very close to 25.

I found going to the TV entry screen and pressing the stop button on my remote clears it, if it doesn't clear itself.

I'm happy to try to help pin this down, though won't be able to do so until next weekend.

Cheers!

russtaylor

Portal Member
    October 16, 2005
    Adelaide
    Home Country
    I have been having these same symptoms for months. My work around was to hit either +15sec or -15sec and the stuttering would stop. I think there is even another thread about this. With the release of 2.0.1.0 it got even worse.

In my system it looks to have been caused by the Nvidia PureVideo codecs I was using - version 1.02.185. This week I changed to the MPA and MPV codecs and all stuttering has disappeared. The missus is most happy...I might even get some this month!

I see some people in this thread are already using the MPA and MPV codecs but perhaps this may help some other people having the same problem.

Cheers
    Russ

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Are the other people having this problem also using Leadtek DTV1000T cards? If so it might be the issue? Also, what is the reason using the MPV codec doesn't work and warps the picture (at least on my machine). Otherwise I would try using the MPV codec and see if it makes a difference.

broadscott

Portal Pro
    February 28, 2006
    Are the other people having this problem also using Leadtek DTV1000T cards? If so it might be the issue?

Just re-read the posts and it seems this is not the problem since there are other people using different cards having the same issue. Who knows - looks like I'll never fix this! Oh well, it's still better than using another program with less functionality.

Doodles

Portal Pro
    September 9, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Broadscott.

I recently became aware that stuttering occurs at pretty much every change of programme. It's not at exactly the same time, but generally within a minute. Have you noticed this? I do get stuttering during programmes now and again as well, but perhaps the fact it occurs at programme breaks might help identify the cause.

I'm using the MPV codec, and don't have any other problems (that I've noticed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom