TV watching causing random reboots (1 Viewer)

mdbarber

Portal Pro
February 19, 2007
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: xp home sp3
CPU Type: c2d 4300
HDD: 500gb maxtor sata
Memory: 2x1gb kingston value 800
Motherboard: Abit 190hd
Video Card: on board and using atix800aiw AND USING X600
Video Card Driver: 7.2>8.51 tried a few
Sound Card: on-board, realtek
Sound Card AC3: N/A
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5591
1. TV Card: Hauppage Nove T 500mce DT
1. TV Card Type: DVB-T
1. TV Card Driver: 4.3.250.80.0
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:MPV
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA
h.264 Video Codec: N/A
Satelite/CableTV Provider:N/A
HTPC Case: GENERIC
Cooling: ENOUGH
Power Supply: 300wT FPS ATX2.01
Remote: Hauppauge
TV: Generic 50" plasma
TV - HTPC Connection: VGA

will post logs 1st chance i get but meanwhile

Watching TV in MP, machine will randomly crash and reboot, this doesn't happen using haupp's own wintv nor does it happen if i use MP to simply record the TV wo watching it.
System is otherwise very stable
clean install of xp sp3 no other known issues, wiki and install instructions followed to letter
does this with both inbuilt version and tv server
any intuition anyone?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    machine will randomly crash and reboot, this doesn't happen using haupp's own wintv nor does it happen if i use MP to simply record the TV wo watching it.

At a guess this may be graphics related, MP is pushing up the pc's hardware use, so something is giving out under the more stressed use.

Just to be crystal clear xp crashes and reboots itself or ?

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    usually a screech from the sound then bumph, screen goes blank a moment later the bios post display comes up, thought graphics meself, hence also tried 2 discrete cards inplace of onboard which i also disabled via bios.
    also i can watch videos recorded and imported no problem.....

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Sounds like either a very corrupt driver, or you have a piece of hardware failing.

Personally would start with Video\Audio driver, they tend to be the biggest culprits make sure you use a driver cleaner like Guru3D - Driver Sweeper before installing new.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    but surely if it was failing to that level i couldn't leave wintv running ok for 12 hrs? after watching recorded tv and random encoded video off hdd

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    will check that shortly, ty
    right now running it fs/tv in debug mode to see if i can catch anything but the system last nite ran for 2 hrs ok before it happened so may take a while..
    will post logs asap but gotta travel 100mls to a couple of jobs tomorrow so don't wait up lol

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Windows Version: xp home sp3
    1. TV Card: Hauppage Nove T 500mce DT

Watching TV in MP, machine will randomly crash and reboot, this doesn't happen using haupp's own wintv nor does it happen if i use MP to simply record the TV wo watching it.
    System is otherwise very stable
    clean install of xp sp3 no other known issues, wiki and install instructions followed to letter
    does this with both inbuilt version and tv server
    any intuition anyone?

Hi,

To my findings XP SP3 doesn't work very well with Nova T 500 DVB-T card due to some faulty USB drivers that comes with SP3. Here is a thread describing the issue: BSOD: Driver_IRQL_less_than_or_equal - USBEHCI.SYS - Page 32 - Hauppauge UK Forum

There are loads of pages in that thread but post #319 on page 32 tells you how to solve the issue. But be aware; if you do not know what you are doing you might end up with a brick and need to re-install XP again.

I have had this issue on two separate machines as soon as I upgraded to SP3 (the only common hardware in these machines are the Nova T-500 cards). It isn't the Hauppauge card itself who is responsible but a faulty USB implementation from Microsoft (this is the consensus on the Hauppauge forum any way; And I agree). It seems the Hauppauge card does however trigger the bug quite frequently.

Before fixing the issue I had random crashes every now and then, but especially when using both tuners on the card (this probably stresses the USB drivers more). After replacing the SP3 USB drivers with the ones from SP2 I haven't had a single crash on neither computer.

Hope this helps you as well.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    ok folks here is log from starting in debug mode and leaving running fs tv through reset occurring, approx 20mins this time

dhasselqvist

many thanks and will look into that, hopefully will find something useful in there!

Attachments

• debug-mode reset.zip
      30.6 KB

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    well have been busy but had a look through above link and it's quite despairing.
    Anyway doesn't look like the cause of this has actually been established, whilst most are blaming MS there seems to be no response made publicly from them, and the posts aren't pointing a finger too clearly.

Going to try and disable the on-board usb see if that stops the duff drivers loading, anyone remember what via chip this cards uses as i seem to remember tracking down alternate drivers for it some time ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom