TV watching causing random reboots (1 Viewer)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    nope about the via driver, but if it was that, then the happauge software would not work.

Has to be directx related if only MP causes it, even very bad codecs only cause crashes, but you do not get reboot.

You could see if windows is writing any messages to the eventlog.

Use the log collector to get the information, your logs are not enough.

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    sorry the reboots were windows, forgot automatic restart was still in default as clean install
    last nite the hauppauge software crunched after 15hrs, MP has not lasted more than 2 up to now
    event logs were cleanish nothing obvious, not at level to go thru mem dump
    log collector was used to get those logs??

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    well have been busy but had a look through above link and it's quite despairing.
    Anyway doesn't look like the cause of this has actually been established, whilst most are blaming MS there seems to be no response made publicly from them, and the posts aren't pointing a finger too clearly.

No, Microsoft has not confirmed the issue. But several users (including me) have replaced the SP3 MS drivers with the old ones from SP2 and the problem is gone.

Going to try and disable the on-board usb see if that stops the duff drivers loading, anyone remember what via chip this cards uses as i seem to remember tracking down alternate drivers for it some time ago

I don't think this will help, it's not a problem with the hauppage drivers, since they work fine with SP2 versions of the MS dll's.

I really recommend you to do as post #319/#327 suggest you to. Make a backup of your system so you can easily roll back if you make any mistakes.

Replace usbd.sys with the v2600 file and the following with the v2180 files: usbehci.sys, usbhub.sys, usbintel.sys, usbport.sys, usbuhci.sys. Remove the sp3.cab from C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 and put the v2180 files in system32\dllcache to stop SFC overwriting the files with the newer versions.

You can find the old versions of the files in sp2.cab in C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 (can be unpacked with e.g. WinRAR). Or in post #327 where a user has posted a script doing the above automatically. However the script did not execute all the neccessary tasks on my system so I just did it manually (as described in the post).

mdbarber

Portal Pro
    February 19, 2007
    Home Country
    well have been busy but had a look through above link and it's quite despairing.
    Anyway doesn't look like the cause of this has actually been established, whilst most are blaming MS there seems to be no response made publicly from them, and the posts aren't pointing a finger too clearly.

No, Microsoft has not confirmed the issue. But several users (including me) have replaced the SP3 MS drivers with the old ones from SP2 and the problem is gone.

Going to try and disable the on-board usb see if that stops the duff drivers loading, anyone remember what via chip this cards uses as i seem to remember tracking down alternate drivers for it some time ago

I don't think this will help, it's not a problem with the hauppage drivers, since they work fine with SP2 versions of the MS dll's.

I really recommend you to do as post #319/#327 suggest you to. Make a backup of your system so you can easily roll back if you make any mistakes.

Replace usbd.sys with the v2600 file and the following with the v2180 files: usbehci.sys, usbhub.sys, usbintel.sys, usbport.sys, usbuhci.sys. Remove the sp3.cab from C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 and put the v2180 files in system32\dllcache to stop SFC overwriting the files with the newer versions.

You can find the old versions of the files in sp2.cab in C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386 (can be unpacked with e.g. WinRAR). Or in post #327 where a user has posted a script doing the above automatically. However the script did not execute all the neccessary tasks on my system so I just did it manually (as described in the post).

Appreciate this but don't see rolling back to old drivers as a step forward,,,and i haven't disabled the haup usb drivers, disabled the motherboard controller in the bios

that is why i was wanting the vias own drivers, to see if they actually fully bypassed the windows drivers. in theory if there is no usb device present relying on the windows files they should not be loaded,
    This system is in lounge where mrs is main user so can't trust here to not fiddle and accidentally update windows/drivers. she likes automatic updates and uses them on every available opportunity.
    will look at doing that procedure as a last resort at mo,
    BTW what did the script not do, i have downloaded it ready so will prob add to complete if possible..:D

dhasselqvist

November 20, 2007
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    that is why i was wanting the vias own drivers, to see if they actually fully bypassed the windows drivers. in theory if there is no usb device present relying on the windows files they should not be loaded

I'm not a MS XP expert but it's my guess that there is no way to avoid windows drivers to be used. There a a core part of the implementation of the USB part in windows. All components (device drivers) that uses USB will hook on to the MS dll's to be able to communicate with the OS.

This system is in lounge where mrs is main user so can't trust here to not fiddle and accidentally update windows/drivers. she likes automatic updates and uses them on every available opportunity.
    will look at doing that procedure as a last resort at mo,
    BTW what did the script not do, i have downloaded it ready so will prob add to complete if possible..:D

:) I understand your point, it's not an ideal solution. I don't remember what the script did not carry out. But all of the described actions where not completed on my system. I did not troubleshoot any further since copying the files myself took just a couple of minutes.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom