TVDB will change into a payed service in 2021 (2 Viewers)

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Hi.
    Maybe you've not noticed but theTVDB.com will offer it's services on a subscription base only starting in 2021. Then you not only need to add the content of their service yourself, no you also have to pay to use your own work later. Every tool, every App using TVDB as data source must be adjusted to send the User API key and every user has to pay 12$ per year to use community driven content. This also affects MediaPortal. The MP1 plugin MyTVSeries is making heavy use of TVDB and in MP2 TVDB is one of the possible data sources for series metadata. Both need to be changed to make use of the new API key model during the next year...

See here:
    Subscribe - TheTVDB.com

Personally I've stopped adding content already and I will delete my account as soon as they shutdown the free API. I'm not willing to put my work into something other people make a ton of money out and making me pay for using my own work. A completely NoGo for me...

Gcarr

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 17, 2014
    United States of America United States of America
    Country flag
    I thought something might have been happening behind the scenes when they changed up everything several months ago. Yeah, I won't contribute anymore either.

bta489

Portal Pro
    March 17, 2013
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    Troubling news, indeed. I understand the need for covering the cost of the infrastructure, but this is simply not the way to do it. No wonder they haven't announced it more prominently on their site. I only stumbled upon it by accident, while browsing their site recently.

I won't subscribe either (after careful consideration) and stopped my contributions for now, as well.
    I just hope MPTV-Series will find a way to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread